Welcome to the College of Veterinary Medicine at the Ohio State University. We are delighted you have chosen to become a Buckeye. We are looking forward to you being on campus and continuing your journey to become a veterinarian. You are the best of the best, and we wish you well on this path.
To help you with your transition into veterinary school, we have a few programs in place. The first program is new student orientation, which is mandatory. Tentative New student orientation dates are August 15-17 and 20. Classes begin on Tuesday, August 21. Class of 2022 New Student Orientation Schedule. This event is an opportunity for you to get to know your classmates and become familiar with our college. All students are required to attend. If you are interested in your family take a tour of the veterinary medical center, we strongly encourage you to sign up for a tour before new student orientation at: https://vet.osu.edu/tourrequest. There will be limited tour offers during new student orientation.
The second program is the "Big Sib" program. Every first year student will be matched up with a second year student that will serve as your "Big Sib." Your "Big Sib" will help guide you through the ups and downs of veterinary school and help you transition into this new phase of your life.
You will receive detailed information about New Student Orientation as well as the "Big Sib" program in June. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (614) 292-1171 or e-mail email@example.com
Again, Congratulations on being accepted to The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine. Welcome to the Buckeye State!
*Please note: This page will be the most up to date after the April 16th deadline. The class is not typically set until June.
Please click below:
- Class of 2022 New Student Orientation
- Office of Professional Programs Contact Information
- WHY OSU Booklet
- Conditions (transcript information and outstanding courses)
- Background Check Information
You will receive an email in the summer (typically in June) regarding your background check.
The cost is approximately $35 for Ohio residents and $65 for non-residents (prices subject to change). All criminal background check information will be held confidential to the extent permitted by Ohio law, and will be handled in accordance with University policy.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our office at (614) 292-1171 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Transcripts of Current Work
Please submit your final transcript(s) to Graduate and Professional Admissions by July 1 (or the end of the semester that you last class ends). Submit transcript (s) to:
Graduate and Professional Admissions
P.O. Box 182004
Columbus Ohio 43218-2004
Please do not send transcripts to College of Veterinary Medicine.
An electronic version of your transcript can be emailed directly to GPADOCS@osu.edu for the issuing institution or a verified third-party transcript provider.
If you have questions about your transcripts, please call (614) 292-9444 or email email@example.com. Failure to submit your final transcript could affect your course schedule for the next term.
Please note: Ohio State students do not have to submit a final OSU transcript. A courtesy copy will be automatically sent to the college.
Required Device (Class of 2022)
Required Device: All students in the Class of 2022 are required to have an iPad to use during their DVM program. The device will be used for core course examinations, review of electronic materials in Carmen and annotation of electronic notes as needed. See below for device requirements and recommendations:
- Minimum Required: iPad 2017
- We recommend that you come with a tablet stylus for handwritten digital notes, which helps to reduce mindless, verbatim keyboard note taking. For non-pro iPads, you have a selection of 3rd-party styluses, some of which are Bluetooth-enabled for extra functionality.
- Recommended Device: iPad Pro 10.5” (2017) / 12.9” (2017)
- Most powerful, and compatible with Apple Stylus and Apple Smart Keyboard which receive 1st party support and compatible with 1st-party accessories, such as the Apple Pencil and the Smart Keyboard.
- Required Accessories: Bluetooth keyboard and privacy screen.
- Additional Requirements:
- Operating System = iOS 10. Only genuine versions of iOS are supported (Jailbroken devices are not compatible).
- Purchasing Opportunity:
- Students can opt to purchase their device using the university discount/apple educational discount here: https://techhub.osu.edu/products
- Students can also opt to purchase a protection plan through TechHub which might be of value as apple protections plans are often more expensive and have more limitations (they also are on campus so that’s a plus): https://techhub.osu.edu/protection-plans
- Device Requirement Considerations: We require the current generation or the previous generation of iPads to not only minimize technology issues during exams, but also to ensure that you would be able to maximize the technology throughout your DVM career. We do not and cannot support the exam software if it is incompatible with an outdated device. The cost of the newer required iPad is included in the Cost of Attendance for Financial Aid.
Student Health Insurance
Students who are enrolled at least half time (4 eligible credit hours for graduate and professional students) and are attending any campus of The Ohio State University are eligible for coverage, as are their dependents.
For more information about student health insurance, please contact:
You will receive an electronic copy of the technical standards form to sign typically in the summer (June 1st). Please feel free to review the form below.
The Office of Educational Design and Systems will register your first semester classes for you during the Summer. After your first quarter, you are responsible for registering for classes. You will be notified by e-mail about upcoming registration dates and deadlines.
Activate OSU E-mail account
It is very important to activate your OSU e-mail account as soon as possible so that we can communicate with you. For information, about activating your e-mail account click active account.
If you have problems activating your email address, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (614) 688-4357.
Buckeyemail (email@example.com email account) Please check your Buckeyemail throughout the summer as you have been added to our Class of 2022 email list and may receive information relevant for your upcoming semester. Please do not “reply all” to emails to avoid filling everyone’s in boxes unnecessarily. Check your “Junk” and “Clutter” mailboxes within the account as sometime the messages sent through the email lists firstname.lastname@example.org are identified as junk or clutter. The list service email for the incoming class is typically done mid-June.
To speak to a financial aid advisor, email George Lee at email@example.com
Click link below for more information about financial aid:
- Financial Aid Overview and General Information
- Financial Aid Powerpoint Presentation - Class of 2021
- Class of 2021 Financial Aid FAQs
Financial Aid Awards will not be available until mid to late June after the class is seated. Please make sure you have completed the FAFSA at www.fafsa.ed.gov if you have not already done so. All VME students will be awarded up to the total cost of attendance if all federal requirements are met. If you have any questions concerning your financial aid, please contact email George Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will be able to access your financial aid in late June by using your OSU Internet Username and Password, and logging into "My Student Center" at http://buckeyelink.osu.edu. Under "Finances" click on "View Financial Aid". Select the Aid Year. Click on "Award Summary". If you were awarded loans, you will also need to click on the "To Do" tab in order to complete promissory notes and other needed items.
Please see the demonstrations concerning your financial aid by clicking on the following link:
Please note: The Federal Grad/Plus loan is the only loan that you CANNOT accept on line at your Student Center. You will need to go to www.sfa.osu.edu/loans and click on "grad/plus" loan tab. Complete the form and email it to email@example.com.
Under the "Finance" section is also a box with a drop down arrow. Go to "Account Refund" for instructions on setting up Direct Deposit. Under the "Finance" section, you will also find links to selecting or waiving "Student Health Insurance."
If you applied for financial aid and did not receive an award by July 1, 2016, or if you have any other questions concerning your financial aid award, please email your financial aid contact, firstname.lastname@example.org, immediately!
The Office of Student Financial Aid welcomes you to The Ohio State University!
For information on housing, click the links below:
- Off Campus and Commuter Housing
- University Housing
- Graduate, Professional and Non-traditional Housing
- Apartment List
The OTS House
Omega Tau Sigma (OTS) professional veterinary fraternity has housing options available for incoming veterinary students. The OTS house offers 9 bedrooms, two full baths (one of these two bathrooms has two separate private showers in it, two sinks, and two private toilets), as well as two half bathrooms downstairs.There are two washer and dryers included. Rent and utilities combined run anywhere from $400-$600 depending on room size you select, member status, and utilities for that month.
- PLEASE NOTE you DO NOT have to be a member of the fraternity to live in the house- however members do get reduced rent (about $100 off a month).
- Property DOES NOT allow cats, dogs, ferrets, rabbits, or birds. Other reptiles and pocket pets are allowed.
The house is located right off of Kenny Road (a popular spot for groceries, restaurants, etc.) and is less than 15 minutes from campus, with traffic. An added bonus is you will be living with people from all different classes of veterinary school, and can use them to ask advice about classes and such.
If you have questions, please email email@example.com Click HERE for pictures.
Fisher Commons is primarily for MBA students, however, they do open it up to other professional students. For more information, call 614-487-9008 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, 900 Nettler Drive, Columbus, Ohio 43221. Fisher Commons is located minutes from the College of Veterinary Medicine.
Off Campus Student Services is also available to assist you with your search. Services include online housing search, information regarding finding off-campus housing, resources for moving into your new apartment or house, resource information for living off-campus, etc. Please feel free to contact Off-Campus Student Services at (614) 292-0100, website e-mail at OCSS@studentlife.osu.edu.
To enhance the health, safety and well-being of the campus community, Ohio State has announced a new vaccination requirement. All new students to the Columbus campus (part-time or greater) enrolling for the autumn 2015 semester and later will be required to have vaccinations for: diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio, measles, mumps, rubella, hepatitis B and varicella (chickenpox). Students who are new to residence halls on all Ohio State campuses will be required to have the meningococcal conjugate (ACWY) vaccination recommended by the CDC.
Also check with your insurance carrier for coverage.
The Ohio Veterinary Educational Supply Service (OVESS)
OVESS proudly serves the book and supply needs of the student, faculty, and staff of The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine. OVESS was created by the Student Chapter of the AVMA to provide a way for students to purchase veterinary textbooks, equipments, and instruments at a discounted cost. Located in room 0010 of the Veterinary Medical Center, OVESS is an independently student operated business.
Ohio Veterinary Education Supply Service
601 Vernon L. Tharp Street
Columbus, Ohio 43210
online store: http://squareup.com/store/ovess
As an Ohio State student, you will receive information sometime in May about purchasing football tickets.
Typically the ranking order go as follow:
- If you attended Ohio State as an undergraduate student your highest rank will transfer over to the professional school. If you did not complete any credits at Ohio State, you would be considered Rank 1.
- If you have questions, please contact:
Ohio State Athletic Ticket Office
555 Borror Dr
Columbus, OH 43210
Phone: (614) 292-2624 | Fax: (614) 688-3032
- www.vet.osu.edu (College of Veterinary Medicine homepage)
- www.buckeyelink.osu.edu (OSU's Online Academic Center)
- http://registrar.osu.edu/ (Office of the Registrar)
- www.sfa.osu.edu (Financial Aid)
New Student Orientation
- August 15-17 and 20
- Classes begin on August 21
Tours of the Veterinary Medical Center
If you would like your family to tour the Veterinary Medical Center, we encourage you request a tour before new student orientation. Tours for families will be limited during orientation.
- Please schedule for a tour at: https://vet.osu.edu/tourrequest
- Currently there are tours for Class of 2022 incoming students on the dates listed below:
- Wednesday, July 25th at 12noon
- Tuesday, August 7th at 12noon
- Friday, August 10th at 12noon
- Tuesday, August 14th at 12noon
OSU Academic Calendar (University Calendar)
For questions about residency, click residency. You can also contact University Registrar at (614) 292-8877 or email them at email@example.com. Also check out their website at http://registrar.osu.edu/.
To gain residency a student must be living in Ohio prior to the first day of Fall term
For more information call the Student Services Center at (614) 292-8877 or go to https://registrar.osu.edu/, click on "Ohio Residency for Tuition.
Ohio & Columbus Information
Click link for a list of student organizations:
U.S. Health Care Recruiter
Below is the contact information for the U.S. Health Care Recruiters locally. They will be offering scholarships to students who have an interest in veterinary medicine as well as the U.S. Army. Their website is www.healthcare.goarmy.com. For FY19 (starting October 2018), the once a year board deadline for all Veterinary Corps HPSP applications have been pushed forward to 28 August 2018.