Skip to main content

Environmental Health and Safety

Printable version

Requirements for faculty, staff, and students to comply with environmental health and safety and occupational health and safety standards 


  1. Chemical Hygiene Plan:
    All PI’s performing laboratory research must have an approved Chemical Hygiene Plan (CHP) in place.  Information for getting started on your CHP can be found at:

    You will need your OSU login to get started on the interactive CHP. Dorian Richards in Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) is responsible for approving the CHP.  He can be reached at or 2-1284.

  2. Chemical Inventory:
    Labs are required to submit a chemical inventory to Environmental Health and Safety.  If you would like an Excel template for your chemical inventory, please contact Dorian Richards.           

    Once the inventory is submitted, EHS will provide the PI with an username and password to access the inventory through EHS ASSIST on their website.  Additions or deletions of chemicals should be registered online.  Any changes regarding Dept. of Homeland Security (DHS) chemicals of interest must be made within 30 days.  Below is a link to the list of these chemicals.  This is a federal government requirement.

    DHS App. A.pdf

  3. Material Safety Data Sheets:
    Material Safety Data Sheets received with chemicals must be kept in a notebook in the lab.  For electronic access to MSDS go to the EHS homepage at:

    Click on MSDS Search at the bottom of the page.

  4. Chemical Spill Supplies and First Aid Kits:
    All labs must have basic chemical spill supplies and a first aid kit.  See Toni Hoepf or Clarence Pointer for chemical spill pads.  Kitty litter may be used as a good general purpose absorbent.  Kits should also contain bleach, gloves and protective eyewear. Acid and base absorbents are also recommended.
  5. Biohazard and Recombinant DNA Protocols:
    The Institutional BioSafety Committee (IBC) requires approved protocols for working with biohazardous agents/recombinant DNA.  Information and forms can be found at the Office of Responsible Research (ORRP) website:
    The main page for the ORRP is:
    For more information on BioSafety Levels see the Institutional Laboratory BioSafety Manual at:

    Additional  BioSafety Websites:
    OSHA Bloodborne Pathogen Standards
    CDC BioSafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories
    NIH Office of Biotechnology Activities

  6. Animal Use Protocols:
    Forms and information can be found at the ORRP website:
  7. Human Subjects:
    Forms and information can be found at the ORRP website:
  8. Radiation Safety:
    For information on obtaining a radioactive materials license, regulations and training, please see the Radiation Safety page on the Environmental Health and Safety website:
  9. Infectious Waste Disposal:
    Infectious waste should be disposed of according to your approved Institutional BioSafety Protocol.  For more information see Appendix C of the Institutional Laboratory BioSafety Manual:
    Infectious waste will be picked up free of charge by Environmental Health and Safety.  It can also be disposed of through the Dispensary in Goss Lab or Sisson Hall.  Containers for waste are delivered on request by EHS at 2-1284.

    NOTE:  An approved CHP and Animal Use Protocol must be in place for access to the ULAR animal facilities.


All faculty, staff, graduate students and undergraduate students working in labs are required by OSHA to take the basic Lab Standard Training.  All personnel working in BSL-2 labs are required to take the Biological Safety Training for BSL2.  All personnel working with bloodborne pathogens and/or human material (not including fixed tissue) are required to take the Bloodborne Pathogens course. Additional training may be required dependent upon your lab’s specific protocols.

* A new required course for all lab personnel is the OSU BEAP Training.  It is listed on the EHS training page under Research Safety. In addition to the required training courses, EHS offers a number of online courses that may be beneficial and pertinent to your research.  An example would be Formaldehyde Safety, as this is a hazardous chemical used in many research applications. All faculty and staff not associated with research labs are required to take the Generic Hazard Communications course.  This includes student employees. This is an OHSA requirement. All EHS courses are listed on the EHS training page which can be accessed at the following link:

If you have not previously registered an account, you will need to do so prior to taking your first course.  A certificate will be available at the successful completion of a course.  Certificates should be printed out and placed in the Training Records section of the lab Chemical Hygiene Plan.

Lab Standard Training:
This course can be taken online.  As an alternative, there is an in-depth 10 hour course offered at the EHS offices on Kinnear Rd.  You can register for the long course by calling EHS at 2-1284.  To take the online course go to:

The course is listed under Research Safety.  You will need to register an account before you can proceed to take the course.  After successfully completing the course, a printable certificate will be available which should be placed in a Training Records section of your CHP.

Biological Safety for BSL2:
This course is required for all BSL-2 lab personnel.  It is listed under Biosafety at the following link:

Generic Hazard Communications Online:
This course can also be taken online.  To take the online course go to: The course is listed under Occupational Health and Safety.  You will need to register an account before you can proceed to take the course.

Radiation Safety Training:
All personnel working with radioactive material are required to take this training.  This is available online at: Training specific to the isotopes used in your laboratory should be given by  
the PI on an annual basis.  You will need to register an account before you can proceed to take the course.

Bloodborne Pathogens:
Training for those working with bloodborne pathogens and/or human material is available online in the Biosafety section at: If you have already taken the Bloodborne Pathogens course, but need a refresher,
there is a Bloodborne Pathogens Refresher course available. OSHA requires that personnel working with bloodborne pathogens be offered the Hepatitis B vaccine.  This vaccination may be declined in writing.  Contact Employee Health at 293-8146.

This is the Building Emergency Action Plan training and is also required by all personnel.  It can be found in the program listing Occupational Health and Safety.

Lab Animal Use:
If you are listed on an approved animal use protocol there are three requirements that must be met.

  1. Registration with Occupational Health and Safety;
    You will be required to fill out the Occupational Online Health Registry which is accessed from this page.
  2. Two courses are required.  These are the “Animal Usage Orientation” course and the “Occupational Health and Safety” course.  They can be taken online by following this link:
  3. Contact ULAR for ID access to the Sisson Hall animal facility.
    Monica Smith: or 292-3024
    See the ULAR webpage for more information regarding their policies and services:

    Note:  ULAR also offers animal handling and techniques classes on an as needed basis.  Call 292-5494 for more information.

Contact List
Amstein, Paul Hazardous Waste Supervisor 614-292-1284
Bogac, Tina Senior Director, EHS 614-292-2950
Bremer, Cathy EHS Officer, Veterinary Preventive Medicine 614-292-8328
Fout, Birdell (Bird) Building Coordinator VMAB and Goss Lab 614-688-4158
Freed, Carrie Clinical Veterinarian, ULAR 614-292-7319
Hairston, Ricardo Team Leader, Sisson Hall 614-292-7821
Hickman-Davis, Judy Clinical Veterinarian, ULAR 614-688-4880
Highley, Charles (Stan) Building Coordinator VMC 614-292-6148
Hoepf, Toni EHS Officer, Veterinary Biosciences 614-294-9516/614-292-9716
Lewis, Stephanie Clinical Veterinarian, ULAR 614-247-7009
McGuire, Jeanne Director, Research Safety 614-292-7108
Moore, Sarah College IACUC Representative 614-292-3551
Richards, Dorian EHS Research Safety Officer 614-292-1284