Welcome to The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine.
Whether you're a clinician, researcher or prospective student, or you're seeking clinical services for your pet or farm animal, you will find an innovative and supportive environment at Ohio State's College of Veterinary Medicine.
Established in 1885, the College has graduated more than 9,100 veterinarians and our alumni practice in all 50 states and 40 countries. Within Ohio, our graduates make up 85 percent of the practicing veterinarians in the state. Encompassing four hospitals and a large animal practice, the Veterinary Health System provides care for more than 72,000 canine, feline, equine and farm animal patients each year.
Consider our contributions in advancing veterinary medical education, clinical care and research:
- Veterinary college researchers developed the first feline leukemia vaccine, patented by Ohio State, licensed to Zoetis (formally Pfizer), Inc., now routinely used worldwide.
- The college is the lead institution in the National Cancer Institute-funded Center for Retrovirus Research and the team leader in the multidisciplinary Emerging and Re-Emerging Infectious Disease Detection, Treatment, and Prevention Discovery Theme Initiative.
- Faculty members have been on the leading edge in the development of advanced orthopedic procedures, including fracture repair and arthroscopy in horses and total hip replacement in dogs.
- Faculty in the Farm Animal Health Research Program at the Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center (OARDC) in Wooster, Ohio, are recognized internationally for their work in infectious diseases.
- The college has one of the first and finest clinical residency programs in the nation.
- We are home to several unique partnerships including the Veterinary Public Health program with Public Health and a Business Minor program with the Fisher College of Business for our Professional Veterinary Students.
- The Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences received the first University Departmental Teaching Award, and the college has produced both University Distinguished Teachers and Distinguished Scholars. The college faculty is well published in scientific literature including leading textbooks and are frequently invited to give lectures at conferences locally, nationally, and internationally.
Learn more about our educational programs in the departments of biosciences, clinical sciences and preventive medicine. Explore our clinics and facilities, including our Veterinary Health System and outreach initiatives.