- Prerequisite Courses/GPA minimum
- VMCAS application - deadline September 15 at 12 midnight. (Eastern Time)
- Academic Transcripts - sent to AAVMC by September 1st
- Supplemental application - a week after you receive the supplemental email link
- Test Scores (GRE or MCAT) - Test must be taken by September 1. Scores must be received by September 15.
- Letter of Recommendations - Three references are required and at least one must be a veterinarian. Letters from relatives are not acceptable.
- Personal Interview (based on pre-screening)
We receive a large volume of applications so we appreciate your patience as we process application materials. If you are currently applying, we ask that you wait to hear from us in regards to admissions materials. If you are missing any admissions materials, we will contact you and give you the appropriate amount of time to turn in outstanding application materials to us.
Thank you for your understanding during this very busy time. Best of luck to you!
Dates and Deadlines
- May 13 : VMCAS application is available.
- September 1: Transcripts are due to VMCAS.
- September 15: Deadline for taking the GRE or MCAT.
- September 15 at 12 midnight: VMCAS application deadline. Please note: This deadline is firm!
- September 15: Official test scores (GRE or MCAT)
- October 1: Supplemental application due date will vary. October 1 is a general guideline. There are no essay questions on the supplemental application. You will receive the supplemental application email link once your VMCAS application and transcripts are verified by VMCAS. It typically takes Ohio State 7-10 days (sometimes shorter) to receive your application from VMCAS. When it is received, a supplication application email link will be sent to you. You will have one week to complete and submit.
- April 15: Deadline for acceptance/decline decision
We strongly encourage you to submit your VMCAS application and transcripts by September 1. VMCAS requires three (3) evaluations to be submitted prior to releasing your application for transcription verification.
All students must complete the prerequisite courses to be eligible for admission. No more than one required prerequisite course may remain to be completed after autumn term of the academic year in which you apply. All courses must be completed by the end of the spring semester or winter quarter preceding matriculation. A grade of C or better must be earned in all prerequisite course work. Courses can be completed at any accredited college or university as long as the courses are determined by the Office of Professional Admissions to be equivalent to our required courses. We do not accept grades for any science courses 10 years or older. However, If you are able to prove advanced coursework or career use of the scientific information that supports your mastery of the content covered in these courses, you may submit (along with your application) a letter of petition.
You must have a 3.0 or higher overall GPA to be eligible for admission, no exceptions. If you have any questions about GPA, please contact us at email@example.com or 614-292-1171.
All applicants are required to apply online through the Association of American Veterinary Medical College's (AAVMC) Veterinary Medical College Application Service (VMCAS). Applicants can begin submitting their VMCAS applications in June. The deadline to submit is September 15 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (No exceptions). For more information, visit aavmc.org
Students who complete a VMCAS application are required to submit all their official transcripts to AAVMC by September 1st. Please visit AAVMC's website for more information on transcript verification: http://aavmc.org/transcriptver.aspx
*Applicants that are offered a seat will be required to submit final transcripts to The Ohio State University by June 1st.
Applicants who designate The Ohio State University on the electronic VMCAS application are required to complete a supplemental application. You will not receive the supplemental application email until your VMCAS application has been completed and transcripts are verified. There are no essay questions on the supplemental application and an applicant should be able to complete the application in about a half-hour. There is a non-refundable application fee of $60 to be paid electronically, upon submission of the application.
A complete VMCAS application includes:
- Completed application
- Application Fee Paid
- A minimum of three (3) eLors (electronic letters of recommendations)
- All transcripts for institutions listed in "Instituions Attended"
Please Note: We strongly encourage you to provide your Social Security Number on the supplemental application if you anticipate receiving a loan, scholarship or grant. The Office of Student Financial Aid uses the Social Security Number to verify your attendance if you are a loan, scholarship or grant recipient.
The Application fee is paid only by those applicants who complete the Supplemental Application. This fee is in addition to the VMCAS application fee.
- Domestic Applicants: $60
- International Applicants: $70
The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine no longer accepts checks or money orders for payment of the application fee. All applicants that complete the Supplemental Application will be required to pay online at the time you submit.
Any checks or money orders mailed to the Office of Professional Admissions or The Office of Student Affairs will be returned to you.
Applicants are required to take the General GRE or the MCAT by September 1, but within five years of their application. Most applicants choose to take the GRE. The GRE measures verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, critical thinking, and analytical writing skills. Applicants are required to take all parts including the analytical writing section. There is no minimum GRE score and the best individual score from each section is taken. The GRE is offered multiple times per year at locations throughout the United States and Canada. To register for the GRE, go to ets.org or call 1-800-GRE-CALL. You will need to provide the following codes to ETS in order for the college to receive your test scores: GRE Code: 1592 . Minimum MCAT is 24. For information about the MCAT, visit aamc.org. To access your MCAT scores, we will need your 16-digit verification code.
International applicants from non-English speaking countries are required to fulfill the TOEFL, MELAB or IELTS requirement. If your native language is not English, you should possess a minimum level of English proficiency which is demonstrated by minimum scores as follows:
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
- 577 (Paper-based test)
- 90-91 (Internet-based test)
MELAB (Michigan Language Assessment Battery)
IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
ETS PPI Report - NO LONGER REQUIRED!!
Letters of Recommendations
Three references (no relatives) are required and at least must be a veterinarian.
After an evaluation of each applicant's file, academic record, test scores, and non-academic portions of the application, a point value is assigned. This value will determine which applicants will be invited for a personal interview. Competitive applicants typically have GRE scores and GPA's well above minimum. For information about presenting a competitive application, click here. For those that qualify for an interview, the interview is typically 30 minutes with two interviewers. The personal interview will be used to clarify any issues arising from the academic and non-academic evaluation and to assess the applicant's maturity, motivation, communication skills, knowledge of the profession, and desire to contribute to society through veterinary medicine.