Protect your pet from household hazards

One lucky dog is home safely, thanks to observant owners and the Emergency and Critical Care staff at the Ohio State Veterinary Medical Center. Tank, a 4-year-old pit-bull, had been acting strangely with symptoms such as panting and a decreased appetite. Tank’s owners Mesanique Smith and Amekia Roach began Googling his symptoms – and realized they matched ingestion of rat poison, a lethal substance for dogs. After three days of treatment in the Intensive Care Unit of the VMC, Tank was released. “We’re just glad he’s okay and coming home,” Smith said. “But this really shows the importance of knowing your pet and being able to tell when something’s wrong.”  More information about household dangers is available at the VMC website: