Clinical Pathology Laboratories
The Clinical Pathology Laboratories include the clinical chemistry, cytology and hematology laboratories. These laboratories provide diagnostic service and professional laboratory expertise to the Veterinary Medical Center, departments and research laboratories within the college and university and the university laboratory animal program. Samples from multiple species are analyzed daily using state-of-the-art automated equipment.
In addition to diagnostic services and specimen analysis, the clinical laboratories provide valuable case material for teaching veterinary medical students and preparing residents for specialty board certification in veterinary pathology, clinical pathology, internal medicine, and surgery.
The laboratories participate in an external quality assurance program administered by the Veterinary Laboratory Association. Each quarter this program compares data generated from samples analyzed in our laboratory using our instrumentation with data from the same sample analyzed by other institutions with similar instrumentation. There also is peer review of blood film evaluations performed by our technologists and clinical pathologists. We are provided with a written comparison of results from all participating laboratories. The results are reviewed by the laboratory supervisor and each of the clinical pathologists.
All equipment in the laboratories is standardized as recommended by the manufacturer or is modified to meet requirements for veterinary species. Commercial controls and calibrators are evaluated on a regular basis. There are written guidelines for review of abnormal hematology findings by the clinical pathologist of service duty.
Clinical Laboratories Director
- Maxey L. Wellman, DVM, PhD, Diplomate, ACVP (Clinical Pathology)
Ph: (614) 292-1877
Clinical Pathology Faculty
- M. Judith Radin, DVM, PhD, Diplomate, ACVP (Clinical Pathology), Professor Emerita, Department of Veterinary Biosciences
Ph: (614) 292-5661
- Maxey L. Wellman, DVM, PhD, Diplomate, ACVP (Clinical Pathology), Professor, Department of Veterinary Biosciences
Ph: (614) 292-5661
- Jessica Hokamp, DVM, PhD, Diplomate, ACVP (Clinical Pathology), Assistant Professor, Department of Veterinary Biosciences
Ph: (614) 688-3159
Clinical Pathology Residents
- Justin Breitbach, DVM
- Mary White, DVM
- Nina Zitzer, DVM
- Nikki Brown, RVT, BS
- Kathleen Canter, MLT (ASCP)
- Teresa Corbett, MLT (ASCP), BS
- Jana Fletcher RVT, MLT (ASCP), Laboratory Supervisor
- Cristina Iazbik
- Kristina Jones
- Alyssa Williamson
Rooms 0035, 0036 and 0044
Veterinary Medical Center
601 Vernon L. Tharp Street
Columbus, OH 43210
Ph: (614) 292-7955
Fax: (614) 292-4688