Purpose and Brief Explanation of Study:
By studying the effects of epidural anesthesia on dogs undergoing cystoscopy, we will enhance our understanding of how to best manage dog discomfort, investigate the impact on epidural anesthesia on procedural difficulty, and monitor for epidural associated complications.
Objective of the trial:
This study aims to look further into pain management associated with urologic endoscopy (cystoscopy), a common diagnostic tool in use for the evaluation of lower urinary tract disorders in dogs.
What qualifies my dog for enrollment in this in this trial?
What does enrolling my dog in this clinical trial involve?
If your dog is deemed eligible to enter into the study, the following schedule will be performed. Your pet will then be randomly assigned to a treatment group and response to treatment measured through repeat observations and follow-up examinations, which will be recorded.
- Pre-Study/Day 0: We will perform a number of tests including a complete physical examination, orthopedic examination and neurologic examination; blood work is required prior to enrollment (CBC, Chemistry Panel, Urinalysis). Additional diagnostics may be recommended at the discretion of the attending clinician. Your dog will then be scheduled for cystoscopy and general anesthesia the following day. Monitoring and evaluations following the procedure will coincide with current standard of care practices. You will also fill out a questionnaire based on your dog’s current clinical signs.
- Day 1: Your dog will undergo cystoscopy. Details of the procedure will be recorded. Your dog will be randomized to receive one of 2 anesthetic protocols for the procedure, which may include the use of epidural pain management. Pre-procedure and post-procedure comfort, physical status and vital parameters will be monitored regularly.
- Day 2: Your dog will be discharged from the hospital in the morning following a routine post-procedural physical examination.
- Day 5: You will be contacted regarding your dog’s comfort level at home. This will be a short 5-minute phone based questionnaire.
- Day 8: You will be contacted regarding your dog’s comfort level at home. This will be a short 5-minute phone based questionnaire.
There are no financial incentives associated with this clinical trial. Billing will be performed according to standard hospital charging and billed to the owner directly.
If you believe your pet may be eligible to enter this study, please click here to fill out a questionnaire.
Dr. Adam Rudinsky firstname.lastname@example.org