When your pet ingests a toxin, time can be of the essence. Immediately contacting the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center 24-hour hotline (1-888-426-4435) will give you and your veterinarian potentially life-saving information regarding the treatment of your loved one.
To protect your pet, we recommend that you follow these simple guidelines:
- Always follow instructions on the label of prescription medications.
- Never give your pet any of your prescription or over-the-counter medications unless explicitly instructed to do so by a veterinarian.
- Keep common household cleaning products safely stored away from pet access.
- Prevent access to the garbage by keeping a tight lid on all cans or store out of reach of your pets.
- Only have your home treated with chemicals that are nontoxic to pets.
- Seek emergency care if your pet has ingested a toxin. At the Veterinary Medical Center, we have veterinarians on staff 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Common pet toxins and household hazards:
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory pain medications (Advil, Aleve)
- Hormone replacement products
- Veterinary products
- Overdose of prescription medications
- Dog flea products (pyrethrin) on cats
- Tulip bulbs
- Christmas Cactus
- Chocolate (dark chocolate more harmful than milk chocolate)
- Grapes and raisins
- Garlic, onions, and chives
- Bread dough
- Sugar-free products containing xylitol
- Rich foods (especially at holiday time)
- Discarded bones (especially chicken and turkey)
- Rat/mouse poison
- Antifreeze (ethylene glycol)
- Rock salt (find the pet-friendly brands)
- Car engines (outdoor cats may climb up to stay warm)
- Pennies (zinc)
- Household cleaning products
- Electrical cords and wires (including holiday lights)
- Lighted candles
- Frostbite (ice balls between toes, paw pads)
- Sub-zero temperatures
- Ribbons, bows and giftwrap
- Ornaments, tinsel
- Christmas trees (cats like to climb; trees can fall over!