Diagnostic and Clinical Microbiology Service
The Clinical Microbiology Service at the OSU-VMC provides testing in the areas of bacteriology, mycology, serology and molecular diagnostics. With our assistance, clinicians provide diagnoses and treatments to the 57,000 patients examined in the OSU-VMC every year. We also offer our services to primary veterinary practices, animal resource facilities, and researchers within or outside the university.
- Aerobic culture
- Anaerobic culture
- Clostridium perfringens and Clostridioides difficile culture
- Blood culture
- Mycoplasma culture
- Mycobacterium culture
- Salmonella culture
- Bacterial identification by MALDI-TOF
- Routine antimicrobial susceptibility testing
- Extended antimicrobial susceptibility testing for multidrug resistant bacteria
- Routine fungal culture
- Dermatophytes culture
- Feline Combo (FeLV/FIV)
- Brucella canis
- Salmonella spp.
Our team is trained in providing guidance on test selection and diagnostic results interpretation for infectious diseases and infection control.
- Infection Control
The Clinical Microbiology Laboratory supports the Infection Control Initiatives of the VMC to protect patients, personnel, and public health from infectious pathogens.
- Antimicrobial Stewardship
Antimirobial resistance is a major threat to veterinary medicine and public health. We are part of the OSU-CVM Antimicrobial Stewardship Program Working Group. Our main role is to aid clinicians and students to interpret laboratory results and select appropriate antimicrobial therapy, supporting educational initiatives, and research efforts.
Our laboratory supports OSU and external researchers on experimental design and pathogen identification. Contact the laboratory for pricing and additional information.
- Sample drop-off
- During business hours: Microbiology Laboratory (VMC 0047)
- After hours or on holidays: Refrigerator in Microscopy Room (VMC 1049).
Exceptions: blood culture bottles and hair samples must be kept at room temperature
- Submissions must be placed through our online portal CoreOne for Labs
- Contact the laboratory for account setup and instructions or click here
Visit the Sample Submission Guidelines & Recommendations above for specific recommendations for sample collection and transport media.
If you need detailed information about the tests we offer, please visit the new Laboratory Testing Catalog.
- Monday - Friday: 8am to 5pm
- Saturday: 8am to 12pm
*Hours may vary during holiday schedules
OSU Veterinary Medical Center - Microbiology Room 0047
601 Vernon L Tharp Street
Columbus, OH 43210
Phone: (614) 292-7956
Fax: (614) 292-4688
- Dubraska Diaz-Campos, DVM, PhD, Assistant Professor, Director
- Joany van Balen, DVM, PhD, Laboratory Supervisor
- Matthew Stempien, BS, Laboratory Technician
- Sarah Moore, BA, Laboratory Technician
- Christy King, DVM, MPH, Microbiology-Infection Control/PhD Graduate Student
Please read our payment policy for complete information.