The mission of Honoring the Bond is to recognize and honor the human-animal bond by providing support and resources to animal owners.
Pet Loss & Anticipatory Loss Resources:
- Referral to pet loss support groups or counselors/therapists that have an interest in human-animal bond and pet loss issues
Social Work services are available to clients of The Ohio State University Veterinary Medical Center. Our typical office hours are 8:30 a.m - 5:00 p.m, Monday - Friday. Examples of ways the social worker may help include:
- Act as a liaison between the animal owner and veterinary medical team
- Provide crisis intervention during difficult situations
- Assist in processing difficult decisions (quality of life assessments, treatment decisions)
- Be present before, during, and/or after euthanasia
- Facilitate family discussions with children
- Provide assessment and referral for further follow-up resources, such as
- counselor/therapist referrals
- pet loss support group referrals
- book lists for anticapatory loss and/or pet loss
If you are currently in the VMC, you may ask a member of your pet's medical team or client services to call the Honoring the Bond program.
To contact a social worker, directly, you may also call (614) 247-8607 or e-mail at CVM-OSUVET.HonoringTheBond@osu.edu