The Student Ambassador Program was established in 2011. Student Ambassadors are representatives of the veterinary medicine student body at The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine, dedicated to the positive advancement of the college. Ambassadors promote and participate in student and alumni events, recruiting activities, and assist faculty and staff with college events. If you have questions about the Student Ambassador Program, please contact Sandra Dawkins at 614-292-1171 or email@example.com.
If you would like our student ambassadors to attend an event, please complete the Student Ambassador Request Form.
The Student Ambassador Program offers opportunities to:
- Choose to assist with one or two special events such as new student orientation, Midwest Veterinary Conference, White Coat ceremony, Honors and Awards, Oath and Hooding, admissions interview events, summer Buckeye Vet Camp and a variety of alumni activities.
- Contribute and interact positively with new and prospective students of all ages (college, high school, and middle school students)
- Interact and meet with donors and alumni
- Participate in student panels and recruiting activities
- Conduct veterinary medical center tours for prospective students, alumni and guests as the need arises
- Actively plan and participate in OSU CVM camp for high school students
- Appear in promotional materials
- Collaborate with the Dean and select faculty members at admissions recruiting events
We are looking for students with the following skills:
- Strong Interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated effective Leadership qualities
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Competence with diverse populations
- A sense of school loyalty and pride
- Enthusiastic, organized and creative
- Demonstrated initiative
- Professional appearance and attitude
- Effective team member
Expectations of Student Ambassadors
Complete a minimum of 20 hours each semester with the following guidelines:
- Mandatory participation at Orientation during fall semester and Interview Weekend(s) during spring semester
- Further details/expectations disseminated closer to each event
- At least 3 online or in person Overview sessions
- Participation in at least 1 community service event per year
- Attendance at 1 alumni/outreach event per semester
- Assistance with reading prospective Student Ambassador applications OR with conducting interviews
- Attendance at 2 meetings per semester (not towards hours)
- Regular, timely responses to emails
- Academic excellence
- Attend program training for ambassador professional development
- Dress appropriately for occasion
- Be knowledgeable about the college
- Serve as a positive role model for students
- Maintain regular communication with the Office of Professional Programs, both in-person and by e-mail
- Commit time and effort to events and activities
- Available to work evenings, weekends, and/or one to two weeks during the summer
Officers and the Office of Professional Programs reserve the right to make changes to the above as necessary.
If you are interested in becoming a student ambassador you cannot simultaneously have the follow positions due to the time commitments:
- Student Government President
- SAVMA President
Application information will be sent out to the class via email. Application requirements include a current resume and video.
*On your resume, please make sure you include activities and experiences outside of veterinary medicine.
Complete the application here
Applications will be reviewed and students will be interviewed and notified of selection.
Student ambassadors are chosen from a very competitive applicant pool. We typically get 50-60 applications and only 6-10 applicants are selected each year.