The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine is offering a summer residential camp for current high school freshmen, sophomores and juniors. This is a five day residential camp that gives participants an opportunity to learn more about veterinary school and the profession. The program takes place in a university environment and includes both social and educational activities.
During Buckeye Vet Prep Camp attendees will:
- Work side by side with current veterinary students as counselors and explore the world of veterinary medicine.
- Take a behind the scenes tour of the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium.
- Learn about the diverse career options in veterinary medicine.
- Participate in mock classes, labs and community service activities
All students will be considered, but priority will be given to students who are considered traditionally underrepresented in veterinary medicine, which can include males and individuals from socioeconomic and or educationally disadvantaged backgrounds. We accept both in state and out of state students.
To be eligible for the program, students must:
- be able to attend the whole week of the program, and stay in the residence halls at The Ohio State University;
- have an interest in exploring veterinary medicine or another health-related career;
- be a current high school freshmen, sophomore or junior; (time of application)
Acceptance to the camp is very competitive. We typically receive over 200 applications and we accept approximately 50 students. If you are not accepted, we strongly encourage you to apply again next year.
- Online application (below)
- One Recommendation Form (only one form per student is needed)
- Essay (submit through the online application)
- Resume (sample below)
The cost of attending the program is $600 and covers lodging, meals, instruction and social activities.
A limited number of scholarships are available for those that have financial need. These scholarships are competitive.
Financial aid assistance form can be found at: https://vet.osu.edu/financialaid
Your acceptance to the camp is not confirmed until you receive a confirmation email from The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine.
An email will be sent to the email provided by the parent/guardian for information regarding payment of the application fee. If your student is selected to attend the Buckeye Vet Camp, additional information regarding payment and scholarships will be provided.
If you have been accepted into camp, but cannot attend, all cancellations must be submitted in writing. The individual who made the original payment will receive:
- A full refund, less an administrative fee of $50, if cancellation is received in writing by 5 p.m. EST on Friday, June 14, 2019.
- No refund for a "No Show" or for a cancellation request made less than one week prior to the start date of the program.
Camp will take place: Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 5:00 pm (check-in) – Friday, June 28, 2019 at 1 p.m.
Friday, March 1 at 5:00 pm (EST)
Deadline to submit
April 26 at 5:00 pm (EST) - Application is closed and we are unable to accept additional applications.
Email Notification - decisions
Week of May 6, 2019
Friday, May 31, 2019 at 5:00 pm (EST)
As we are processing applications for vet camp, we ask for your patience and understanding. Please keep in mind this is a busy time for our office as we are process applications for veterinary school as well. We will respond to email and return phone calls as soon as we can. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have about the camp.
Sample schedule - click for last year's schedule (subject to change each year)
Note: You must submit resume and essay question with on-line application.
What do you think a veterinarian's role is in a community? How will you participate in your community after vet school?
Resume (click for sample resume)
Please including the following (if applicable): Name, address, email, telephone number, education (name of high school) work experience (include veterinary or animal experience), community service, extracurricular activities/academic clubs, awards, interests & hobbies.
ONE recommendation form needs to be completed. The recommendation form can be completed at: https://vet.osu.edu/bvcrec.
The recommendation form should be completed by your guidance counselor.
Please send the link below to your recommender: https://vet.osu.edu/bvcrec
Deadline to submit is April 26, 2019.
BUCKEYE VET CAMP APPLICATION
Tips for completing application.
- Read carefully. Follow all directions. Complete all forms in their entirety.
- Submit application by the deadline.
- Please only submit ONE application.
- Please do not skip any question or leave any field blank. If the question does not apply to please put N/A or select "no."
Note: Your completion of this application does not guarantee a position in our camp.