Due to an abundance of caution regarding COVID-19, The Ohio State College of Veterinary Medicine will be cancelling the Buckeye Summer Vet Camp for Summer 2020. Thank you for your understanding.
The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine is offering a summer residential camp for rising high school sophomores, juniors, and seniors. This is a five day residential camp that gives participants an opportunity to learn more about veterinary school and the profession. The program takes place in a university environment and includes both social and educational activities.
During Buckeye Vet Prep Camp attendees will:
- Work side by side with current veterinary students as counselors and explore the world of veterinary medicine.
- Participate in a Community Service Project
- Learn about the diverse career options in veterinary medicine.
- Participate in mock classes and labs
All students will be considered, but priority will be given to students who are considered traditionally underrepresented in veterinary medicine, which can include males and individuals from socioeconomic and or educationally disadvantaged backgrounds. We accept both in state and out of state students.
To be eligible for the program, students must:
- be able to attend the whole week of the program, and stay in the residence halls at The Ohio State University;
- have an interest in exploring veterinary medicine;
- be a rising high school sophomore, junior or senior; (time of application)
Acceptance to the camp is very competitive. We typically receive over 200 applications and we accept approximately 50 students. If you are not accepted, we strongly encourage you to apply again next year.
- Online application (below)
- One Recommendation Form (only one form per student is needed)
- Essay (submit through the online application)
- Resume (sample below)
The cost of attending the program is $600 and covers lodging, meals, instruction and social activities.
A limited number of scholarships are available for those that have financial need. These scholarships are competitive.
Financial aid assistance form can be found at: https://vet.osu.edu/financialaid
Your acceptance to the camp is not confirmed until you receive a confirmation email from The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine.
An initial application fee of $25.00 can be paid via this link: http://www.cvent.com/d/3nqstj/4W . Once students have been chosen, an email will be sent to the accepted students with additional payment information.
Application fees are non-refundable. If you have been accepted into camp, but cannot attend, all cancellations must be submitted in writing. The individual who made the original payment will receive:
- A full refund, less an administrative fee of $50, if cancellation is received in writing by 5 p.m. EST on Friday, June 12, 2020.
- No refund for a "No Show" or for a cancellation request made less than one week prior to the start date of the program.
Camp will take place: Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 5:00 pm (check-in) – Friday, June 26, 2020 at 1 p.m.
Wednesday, March 4, 2020 at 5:00 pm (EST)
Deadline to submit
April 24 at 5:00 pm (EST) - Application is closed and we are unable to accept additional applications.
Email Notification - decisions
May 1, 2020
Friday, May 29, 2020 at 5:00 pm (EST)
As we are processing applications for vet camp, we ask for your patience and understanding. Please keep in mind this is a busy time for our office as we are processing applications for veterinary school as well. We will respond to email and return phone calls as soon as we can. Please email email@example.com with any questions you may have about the camp.
Note: You must submit resume and essay question with on-line application.
What do you think a veterinarian's role is in a community? How will you participate in your community after vet school?
Resume (click for sample resume)
Please including the following (if applicable): Name, address, email, telephone number, education (name of high school) work experience (include veterinary or animal experience), community service, extracurricular activities/academic clubs, awards, interests & hobbies.
ONE recommendation form needs to be completed. The recommendation form can be completed at: https://vet.osu.edu/bvcrec.
The recommendation form should be completed by your guidance counselor. If you do not have a school guidance counselor, your letter can be completed by someone (other than a relative) who can speak to your skills and abilities.
Please send the link below to your recommender: https://vet.osu.edu/bvcrec
Deadline to submit is April 24, 2020.
BUCKEYE VET CAMP APPLICATION
Tips for completing application.
- Read carefully. Follow all directions. Complete all forms in their entirety.
- Submit application by the deadline.
- Please only submit ONE application.
- Please do not skip any question or leave any field blank. If the question does not apply to please put N/A or select "no."
Note: Your completion of this application does not guarantee a position in our camp.