Preparing DVM students for success in general practice
If you are interested in pursuing a career in Small Animal General Practice, the Stanton Summer Externship program offers an exciting opportunity to augment your veterinary education! The program combines intensive educational training with real-world clinical practice experience serving diverse and underserved populations.
The Stanton Summer Externship is a 10-week program for students between their first and second years of the DVM program at Ohio State. Up to 16 students are accepted on a competitive basis. The Stanton externs will shadow GP veterinarians in busy, Ohio-based small animal general practices with a broad socioeconomic clientele.
Highlights of the Program
- Emphasizes the traditional role of the general practitioner
- Prepares students to work with clients and pets at various socioeconomic levels, including underserved populations of companion canines and other small animals in need of care
- Develops skills required for success in the real world with a focus on developing practice-ready GPs
|1 day of orientation|
|4 weeks of shadowing at one of the four participating practices|
|4 weeks of hands-on training at Ohio State, focusing on professional communication, internal medicine, community practice and surgical skills|
|1 week dedicated to documentation of the experience|
In addition, students are required to keep a case log and prepare a case presentation as part of their final report.
Participation is voluntary and there is no letter grade attached to the program.
- We prefer Small Animal General Practice students with cultural background experiences, motivation, excellent communications skills and familiarity working with low-income populations. The amount of previous clinical experience is not a factor.
- You must be able to commit 40 hours/week for one of the two sessions:
May 7 – July 6, with an all-day orientation on May 2
June 4 – August 3, with an all-day orientation on May 30
- In addition, students must be members of SCAVMA and carry AVMA Professional Liability Insurance for the timeframe of the program (free to SCAVMA members).
Compensation includes travel and lodging (if placed outside of Columbus) and a 9-week stipend.
|Please complete the application at go.osu.edu/stantonapplication|
|Submit your resume or CV and essay along with the application by the due date. The resume or CV and essay must be uploaded in order to submit the application|
|2018 Stanton externs will be announced at approximately the same time as the Summer Research Program|
Application deadline is February 5, 2018.