During the externship (2-6 weeks), students will participate in all aspects of the veterinary department's activities, including routine, emergency, and preventative health care of the animal collection, maintaining health records, assisting the veterinary technicians with routine tests, and assisting in the care of hospitalized animals. Six Flags Great Adventure and Wild Safari Park is a 4.5 mile drive-through safari that is home to over 1200 animals representing over 55 species including many hoofstock, carnivores, reptiles, and marine mammals.
Associate Veterinarians and special expertise available
- William P. Rives, VMD (Director)
- Kenneth L. Keiffer, DVM (Associate)
The student will have access to a variety of texts and journals related to the field of zoo medicine.
Requirements for Application:
- Fourth year veterinary student
- Submission of Letter of Intent with specific dates requested
- Submission of Resume with relative course and work experience
- Contact information for three references
- Negative tuberculin skin test within 60 days of start of preceptorship
- Current tetanus vaccination
- Personal health insurance
The student will participate in all aspects of daily operations including daily medical rounds, preventative medicine programs, and assisting with daily animal treatments. The student will also assist with immobilization and anesthesia monitoring of zoo animals.
Student will have access to the veterinary staff 8-9hrs/day 5 days/week. Due to case loads, days may be longer.
Six Flags Great Adventure and Wild Safari Park
Attn: Safari Department
Hwy 537 PO Box 120
Jackson, NJ 08527
Ph: 732-928-2000 x2076
Signature On File: Kenneth L. Keiffer, DVM