Skip to main content

Graduate Faculty Resources

Frequently Asked Questions for CVM faculty who are advising graduate students 



I have an opening in my lab, how do I find potential students?
Faculty and students can match up in a variety of ways. Students must identify an advisor before they enter the program (you can review application procedures here) so it is common for applicants to contact potential advisors directly. Many students enter the program this way. Some applicants will apply without finalizing an advisor first and faculty may contact the Graduate Program Coordinator, to see if there are current pending applications. The graduate program receives applications year-round. The majority of inquiries and applications come in late autumn / early winter. And lastly, faculty may recruit students into the program. If a faculty member identifies a potential graduate student who meets the admission criteria, please contact Shannon Binkley, who can assist with the application process.
Do I have to financially support my graduate student?
Yes, it is expected that a faculty advisor provide the student, through some mechanism, financial support in the form of a stipend and tuition payment for the duration of the student's program.
Students are funded in a variety of ways - most commonly through the advisor's research funding, or external scholarships and fellowships. Student's funded by their advisor's research funding are typically hired as Graduate Research Associates. Be aware that the funding of a graduate student can be affected by many factors - such as their citizenship, residency status, and the source of the support funds. It is highly recommended that faculty contact Shannon Binkley
 before making any kind of offer to a potential student.
How much does it cost to fund a graduate student?
The Graduate School sets the minimum stipend for a Graduate Research Associate (GRA) at $2364.44 per month. On average, graduate student stipends in the College of Veterinary Medicine exceed this minimum.
For the 2022-23 academic year, the tuition for a master's or pre-candidacy PhD GRA is $6,250 per term. The tuition for a post-candidacy 
PhD GRA is $2,343.75 per term. Students who hold positions other than GRA will have other factors impacting the amount of tuition - such as their citizenship, Ohio residency status, and/or employment status. Tuition for non-GRA students who do not qualify as Ohio residents is $19,550.48 per term ($7,331.43 for post-candidacy PhD students) 
Is there financial support from the college for faculty who cannot fully support a graduate student?
Yes, the Office of Research and Graduate Studies has limited funding to support tuition for graduate students whose advisors would not otherwise be able to support the student. These funds are awarded annually beginning in Summer Term for one academic year (Summer Term, Autumn Semester, Spring Semester). The process is administered through the Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies. There is currently no college-level support available for stipends.
What are the admission criteria for new students?
The minimum standards for admission can be found here.

What are the academic program requirements for graduate students?
Regular graduate students must complete the requirements outlined on this page. Students who are also part of a residency program (Clinical Residents, Pathology Residents, Lab Animal Residents) may have additional curricular requirements and other requirements that are specifically related to their residency training.

I have a proposal for a new course, how do I proceed?
Requests for new courses are reviewed by the Council for Graduate Studies. Faculty should submit a Course Request Form and a Syllabus to Shannon Binkley at who will place it on the next monthly meeting agenda. (Note: VCS Faculty should have the course reviewed by the PPEC prior to submission to the Council for Graduate Studies. Contact the VCS Education Program Coordinator at for more information.)

In order to serve as an advisor or committee member for an MS or PhD student, a faculty member must first have Graduate Faculty Status. There are two types: M Faculty Status allows faculty to advise a master's student and sit on the committees of master's or PhD students; P Faculty Status allows faculty to advise and sit on committees for both master's and PhD students. M Faculty Status also allows faculty to serve as a co-advisor to a PhD student.
The Council for Graduate Studies, in conjunction with the Graduate School, reviews and approves Graduate Faculty Requests. To apply, you must submit a letter of request along with a current CV to Shannon Binkley who will place it on the next monthly meeting agenda. The general criteria are listed below, but please also refer to the Comparative Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program Handbook, Chapter 1, Section F
Category M Status
1 - have a regular tenure-track faculty, research faculty, or clinical faculty appointment at 50% or more
Category P Status
1 - have a regular tenure-track faculty or research faculty appointment at 50% or more
2 - hold an earned PhD, DVM, or other equivalent terminal degree
3 - be engaged in an active program of research
4 - have a track record of sufficient research funding to provide support of graduate research
5 - have experience as an advisor for an MS student, or as a co-advisor for a PhD student who has completed their degree requirements, or service on a doctoral committee of a graduate student who has completed their degree requirements
Questions should be directed to Shannon Binkley