Aquatic & exotic veterinary externship
4-8 week clinical rotation at the aquarium involving the medical care of teleosts, elasmobranchs, inverts, reptiles, birds and mammals as well as our quarantine & preventative medicine programs.
- 1 clinical veterinarian
- 1 research veterinarian
- 1 veterinary intern
- 2 certified technicans onsite
- We also have affiliations with a local zoo vet (Lowry Park) & the University of Florida's Tropical Aquaculture Lab & veterinary staff.
- relevant aquatic veterinary literature
- Journal of Zoo/Wildlife Medicine
- Journal of Aquatic Animal Health
- twice montly journal club lead by current vet intern
- Assistance with exams, blood draws, anesthesia, surgery, medication delivery, etc.
- Knowledge of exotic/aquatic animal diseases & treatments
- Formal presentation to be delivered to veterinary & husbandry staff on a relevant topic to be chosen at the start of the externship
The student will be working directly with the veterinary staff 40 hours per week + 1 weekend on an emergency basis as needed.