The College of Veterinary Medicine encourages veterinary students to supplement their formal education in areas of particular interest to them. One way this is accomplished is through the development of student organizations and clubs. Student organizations may serve as a medium for academic discourse, personal growth, leadership development, intercultural understanding, community service, and lasting friendships.
Definition of a Student Organization: A student organization is an association of Ohio State students created for any educational purpose that supports the vision and goals of the University set forth in the Academic Plan and Diversity Action Plan.
This information is provided to assist interested students in developing organizations that meet their specific needs. The College will provide bulletin board space in the Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital basement each year upon request. Student organizations are not official entities of the University.
Registered Student Organizations
Complete registration requirements (further detailed here) during your organization's registration window. If you do not know which registration window your student organization has chosen in the past, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Autumn Semester Window: Aug 1 - Oct 15
Spring Semester Window: Feb 15 - April 30
Changes to this information can ONLY be made by the primary leader through the "Manage Your Org" feature.
All registered student organizations require training for the following people: President, Treasurer, Advisor.
- 90% of the membership must be currently enrolled veterinary medical students.
- The Office of Student Life provides resources for student organizations including; campus signage/chalking policies, leadership development, funding opportunities, training, and much more.
- University Communications provides guidelines for the use of the Ohio State brand on merchandise sold by student groups: brand.osu.edu/student-groups.html
- Sale of student group merchandise: All merchandise sold by student groups using university trademarked words and symbols must be approved by university Trademark and Licensing. Tim Vojt (email@example.com) in Biomedical Media can provide merchandise design guidance and support for college student organizations registered with the Office of Student Life.
- College spaces: Complete the Club Meeting Request Form CVM Community on your class page.
- VMC spaces: Please work directly with Hospital Administration regarding ANY events in the VMC (hospital spaces) as early in the planning stages as possible and before event promotion begins.
- Campus outdoors spaces: ben.osu.edu
- Ohio Union spaces: ohiounion.osu.edu/plan_an_event/view_event_spaces/view_spaces
- Non-college classrooms: ohiounion.osu.edu/plan_an_event/space_requests/classroom_space
- Outside of formal college events, the college will not schedule outside spaces on football Saturdays.
COI policy: Covers relationships boundaries of students with off campus interests. Contact CVMPPS@osu.edu for additional details.
Food: Your event location may have a catering agreement with a specific vendor. If not, please use a licensed food vender. If/when selling food items the liability can fall back on the student organization (not the university) if the organization is selling the food.
- Games of chance – Any activity that requires participants to pay for the chance to win something is PROHIBITED under Ohio statutes on gambling and games of chance. Only groups that have applied for and maintain 501c(3) charitable non-profit status for the IRS are exempted from this rule. Student organizations may NOT use OSU's non-profit statues for this purpose. Click HERE for more details and scroll to the "Events" section of the Student Activities website.
- Bake Sales – Food items sold by student organizations must be both commercially pre-packaged by a licensed vendor and handled with compliance with the relevant health codes.
- Movies – If you want to show a film, in most cases you need a licensed copy of the film if it is a public performance. Visit www.mpaa.org
If you are uncertain if the activity you would like to engage in is prohibited please contact CSLS@osu.edu
For CVM related questions, please contact:
The Office of Professional Program Support (CVMPPS@osu.edu)