Skip to main content

Dr. Christopher Adin wins KL2 Scholar Career Development Award

Dr. Christopher Adin wins KL2 Scholar Career Development Award

Dr. Christopher Adin, assistant professor of Small Animal Surgery in the Ohio State University Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, was recently selected by the Center for Clinical and Translational Science (CCTS) for a KL2 Scholar Career Development award. Highly competitive, the award is funded by the NIH Clinical and Translational Science Award to The Ohio State University. The CCTS Career Development Program (KL2) provides salary support and protected time for highly-qualified junior faculty to conduct multidisciplinary clinical or translational research. According to the NCRR, the purpose of the KL2 Program is "to help ensure that a diverse pool of highly trained scientists are available in adequate numbers and in appropriate research areas to address the nation's biomedical, behavioral, and clinical research needs." The program seeks to reward a track record of academic success and clear potential for the future. Dr. Adin is the first faculty member from the Ohio State College of Veterinary Medicine to win the award.

The research proposal Dr. Adin submitted in his grant application is titled, The Role of Ischemia Reperfusion Injury in Promoting CD103-dependent Injury to Renal Tubules. His primary mentor for the past year has been Dr. Gregg Hadley, professor of Surgery at the College of Medicine and immunologist at the CTC. As he continues his research, Dr. Adin will also work with Dr. Cheryl London, DVM, PhD., Dr. Michael Oglesbee, DVM, PhD., and Dr. Michael Lairmore, DVM, PhD.

Over the next two years, Dr. Adin will commit 75 percent of his time as a CCTS KL2 Scholar, which will allow him to conduct research and attend the required seminars, trainings, meetings, and other relevant career development activities. The award pays for 75 percent of his salary and provides $25,000 towards research expenses. He will spend the other 25 percent of his time in clinics.

"The goal of this KL2 award is to help propel me and my lab to be independently funded by extramural sources and provide the training to reach that goal," said Dr. Adin. "The training will bridge the gap between being a researcher and a veterinarian. The intent is to translate knowledge from the bench into practice in the clinic."

Dr. Adin hopes his research will result in improving transplant outcomes in both the veterinary and human populations. Eventually he would like to see a clinical transplant center program established in the Veterinary Medical Center.

Posted: 6/16/10


About the College of Veterinary Medicine at Ohio State

Founded in 1885, The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine is ranked fifth in the nation and includes more than 1,000 faculty, staff and students in the Departments of Veterinary Biosciences, Veterinary Clinical Sciences, and Veterinary Preventive Medicine. The Veterinary Medical Center is one of the largest specialty referral centers in the world, with more than 35,000 farm, equine, and companion animal patients each year. A nationally-recognized ambulatory practice and teaching unit in Marysville, Ohio provides farm animal experience to every veterinary student, and the Food Animal Health Research Program in Wooster, OH focuses on detection, control, and prevention of disease. Located on the only campus in the country with a comprehensive medical center offering seven health sciences colleges, we admit up to 162 veterinary students per class, and offer a new comprehensive graduate program in Veterinary and Comparative Medicine as well as a unique Master’s degree in Veterinary Public Health, in partnership with the College of Public Health.   


Last updated: 

Friday, May 4, 2012 - 3:06pm