Used in patients with acute or chronic hemorrhage, hemolysis, renal disease, and bone marrow disorders.
Protocol for use of packed red Blood cells
- Packed red cells are preserved in an additive solution that does not require further dilution. However, if using fluids along with blood products, use normal saline.
- Avoid calcium-containing fluids such as Lactated Ringers or hypotonic fluids such as 5% dextrose in water.
- Use a standard blood administration set (provided in ICU).
- Give 5ml/kg/hr for the first 15 min. then increase the rate.
- Dogs in cardiac, liver or renal failure should be given a dose of ∼1 ml/kg/hr.
- The transfusion must be completed within 4 hours to prevent the chance of bacterial growth.
- Transfusion of 15 ml/kg will raise the recipient's PCV by 10% points.