- About the VMC
- Pet Owners
- Farm Animal Owners
- Horse Owners
- Clinical Trials Office
Honoring the Bond, Support for Animal Owners
The mission of Honoring the Bond is to recognize and honor the human-animal bond by providing support to animal owners. Honoring the Bond services are available, at no cost, to clients of The OSU Veterinary Medical Center.
Our Veterinary Social Worker can assist in the following ways:
· Act as a liaison between the animal owner and veterinary medical team
· Provide crisis intervention during difficult situations
· Assist in processing difficult decisions (quality of life assessments, treatment decisions)
· Be present before, during, and/or after euthanasia
· Facilitate family discussions with children
· Provide assessment and referral for further follow-up counseling, if needed
· Provide resources, including reading lists, websites, counselor and pet loss support
RESOURCES FOR PET OWNERS (if able, click on the links below for further information):
Difficult Decision Making
How Do I Know When it's time? Assessing Quality of Life and making End-of-Life Decisions
Coping with the Loss of a Companion Animal
Helping Children Cope with Illness or Death of an Animal
Do Companion Animals Grieve?
The Behavioral Medicine Clinic offers additional services for animals with behavior issues http://vet.osu.edu/vmc/behavior
- Consultations are available to OSU VMC clients by phone, email or in-person
- Office Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday - Fri
- Joelle Nielsen, MSW, LSW, Honoring the Bond Program Coordinator
- (614) 247-8607 or e-mail at joelle [dot] nielsen [at] cvm [dot] osu [dot] edu
Joelle Nielsen, Honoring the Bond program coordinator, was interviewed by OnCampus, Ohio State's faculty and staff newspaper. Out of about 20 job nomiations, the publication listed Nielsen's as one of the most unique careers at the university. Read the article.
Joelle is quoted in The Columbus Dispatch article "What price is right in extending a pet's life?" Read the article
Joelle is interviewed on the WCRN radio show The Sound of Ideas. Listen to the show, "When Our Beloved Pets Die" here.