- Provide high quality samples from animals that present to the OSU-VMC in order to facilitate translational research and collaboration between researchers in veterinary and human medicine
- Develop a database supporting the annotation, storage and dissemination of specimens
- Improve linkage between scientific studies of specimens and patient clinical outcomes
- Collection, annotation, storage and dissemination of high-quality biological material for research
- Many companion animal diseases are similar in biology and behavior to human diseases, making them an excellent research model for human disease.
- Dogs and cats are exposed to the same environmental risk factors as humans, so studying their cancers may provide clues about what causes cancer in people.
- Specimens can be used by clinicians, molecular biologists, geneticists, and epidemiologists to conduct research that will improve the lives of both animals and humans.