The Integrated Oncology Service at Ohio State’s Veterinary Medical Center is comprised of a team of cancer doctors with specialties in medical, surgical and radiation oncology, working together - and with you and your family veterinarian - from initial consultation and diagnosis, through the prescription and implementation of a treatment plan. Whether through a referral from your veterinarian or a direct call from you,as owner, all pets with a suspected diagnosis of cancer will be referred to the Integrated Oncology Service, rather than an individual service such as oncology, radiology or surgery.
- Holistic approach to evaluating, diagnosing and treating patients.
- Streamlining and optimizing owner experience: receiving input and information from all relevant specialists during a single visit, rather than having to visit and consult separetly with each service (medicine, surgery and radiology.)
- Superior level of advanced care and experience in managing pets with advanced and metastatic cancer.
- Superior level of experience in routinely managing animals with hematological (blood) disorders.
- Administration of comprehensive, multimodal treatment plans
- Empowering pet owners with a comprehensive understanding of their pets' diagnosis and best course of treatment, to help minimize fear, confusion and uncertainty frequently associated with a cancer diagnosis.
- Access to investigational clinical studies for specific diseases or tumors.
The Integrated Oncology Service is often recruiting patients for a number of studies for which your pet may be eligible. If you have any questions regarding your pet's eligibility, please contact the Blue Buffalo Clinical Trials Office (firstname.lastname@example.org). For a listing of current trials please click here.
Appointments & Hours
Patient visits are by appointment only. Please call (614) 292-3551.
Office hours: 7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Monday - Friday: Chemotherapy appointments and re-checks
- Monday - Thursday: New patients
- Emergencies will be seen as scheduled through referring veterinarians. For an appointment please call (614) 292-3551.
- After hour and weekend emergencies: (614) 292-3551.
Common Conditions & Procedures
The Integrated Oncology Service treats many types of cancer. Some of the most common are lymphoma, osteosarcoma, transitional cell carcinoma, mammary gland carcinoma, mast cell tumor, melanoma, fibrosarcoma and leukemia, among others. We also evaluate and treat patients with hematologic diseases such as immune-mediated anemia, immune-mediated thrombocytopenia, and bone marrow disorders.
What to Expect
Clients who are visiting the Integrated Oncology Service for the first time with their pet should expect to spend several hours or more with us. This is due to the fact that many of our first-time patients require diagnostic tests that either take time to obtain the results, such as blood tests, or have to be scheduled with other services in the medical center, such as radiographs and ultrasounds.
Owners will be greeted by the fourth-year veterinary student assigned to your pet's case. The student will take an initial history and report back to the assigned clinician. Based on the individual case, a clinician from the Integrated Oncology Service - with a focus either surgical, medical or radiation oncology - will inititate the consultation. Once daily, the integrated team of cancer specialists will meet to discuss each patient and review pertinent diagnostics in detail to design treatment plans that are personalized and tailored to the individual family. The treatment plan may or may not involve all three oncology disciplines.
As owner, you are a key member of your pets' oncology care team. Our goal is to provide an environment where every family feels supported throughout each stage of their pet's cancer journey. The clinician assigned to lead the case will discuss your pet's condition in detail, answer any questions you may have and work together with you and your veterinarian, as well as other members of the Integrated Oncology team to implement a personalized treatment plan to your satsifaction as the pet owner.
Special Equipment & Technology
The Veterinary Medical Center at Ohio State University has numerous diagnostic capabilities that are utilized by the Integrated Oncology Service on a regular basis. These include computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), polymerase chain reaction (PCR), immunohistochemistry, and flow cytometry, among others.
Integrated Oncology Service Clinicians, Residents and Staff
Our team of word-class, board-certified veterinary medical, surgical and radiation oncologists, residents and veterinary technicians are here to provide you and your pets with the most advanced and comprehensive care and treatment options to ensure the best possible quality of life for your furry family member.
- Bill Kisseberth, DVM, PhD, DACVIM (Oncology)
- Emma Warry, BVSc (HONS), DACVIM (Oncology)
- Joelle Fenger, DVM, PhD, DACVIM (Oncology)
- Megan Brown, DVM, MS, DACVIM (Oncology)
- Heather Gardner, DVM (Oncology Resident, 3rd Year)
- Cecilia Lopez, DVM (Oncology Resident, 3rd Year)
- Rachel Kovac, DVM (Oncology Resident, 2nd Year)
- Kyle A. Renaldo, DVM (Oncology Resident, 2nd Year)
- Eric Green, DVM, DACVR (Radiology and Radiation Oncology
- Noopur Desai, BVSc, MVSc, Assistant Professor -Clinical, Radiation Oncology
- Mary McLoughlin, DVM, MS, DACVS, Medical and Surgical Oncology Service Head
- Vincent Wavreille, DVM MS, MRCVS
- Kat Ham, DVM, DACVS
- Judith Bertran, DVM, MS, DACVS, Oncologic Surgical Fellow
Integrated Oncology Veterinary Technicians:
Our integrated oncology team also consists of a certified social worker/counselor trained to asssit with decision making and, when necessary, to provide family bereavement support.
We also partner with physicians and world-reknowned researchers at Ohio State's Wexner Medical Center, James Cancer Center and Comprehensive Cancer Research Center, as well as Nationwide Children's Hospital, to continue to make significant advancements in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of cancer in animals and humans alike.
Payment is expected at the time of your visit. Please read our payment policy for complete information.