Archiving e-mail removes the e-mail from the Exchange server and stores it where storage space is less critical. This process often improves Outlook performance while keeping your old e-mails available to you.
- Create a directory in your C\: drive (for example, in
My Documents) named "Exchange-Archive" (or similar). Please note:
these directions recommend that you archive on the C:\ drive to avoid PST
corruption. Please ensure that you have a backup solution for your archived
emails, such as an extra internal or external hard drive.
- Activate the AutoArchive feature in Outlook
- From the main Microsoft Outlook window, click on the Tools menu
- Click Options (this will open the Options dialog shown below)
- The AutoArchive dialog should now be open
- Make sure the "Delete expired items (e-mail folders only)" is not checked
- Direct old items to the folder you created (e.g., My
- Click OK to close the AutoArchive dialog
- Click OK to close the Options dialog
Microsoft online training courses: