The Student Ambassador Program was established in 2011. Student Ambassadors are representatives of the veterinary medicine student body at The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine dedicated to the positive advancement of the college. Ambassadors promote and participate in student and alumni events, recruiting activities, and assist faculty and staff with college events. If you have questions about the Student Ambassador Program, please contact April Pugh at 614-247-1512 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like our student ambassadors to attend an event, please complete the Student Ambassador Request Form.
The Student Ambassador Program offers opportunities to:
- Choose to assist with one or two special events such as new student orientation, annual open house, Midwest Veterinary Conference, white coat, honors and awards, oath and hooding, admissions interview events, summer vet camp and a variety of alumni activities.
- Contribute and interact positively with new and prospective students of all ages (college, high school, and middle school students)
- Interact and meet with donors
- Participate in student panels and recruiting activities
- Conduct veterinary medical center tours for prospective students, alumni and guests
- Actively plan and participate in OSU CVM camp for high school students
- Appear in promotional materials
- Collaborate with the Dean and select faculty members at admissions recruiting events.
We are looking for students with the following skills:
- Strong Interpersonal skills
- Demonstrates effective Leadership qualities
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Successfully addresses diverse groups of people
- A sense of school loyalty and pride
- Enthusiastic, organized and creative
- Demonstrated initiative
- Professional appearance and attitude
- Effectively assists others and contributes to their success
- Works effectively as a team member
- Fulfills responsibilities without jeopardizing academic standing
Expectations of Student Ambassadors
Complete a minimum of 20 hours each semester with the following guidelines:
- Mandatory participation at Orientation during fall semester and Interview Weekend(s) during spring semester
- Further details/expectations disseminated closer to each event
- At least 3 tours per semester (3 hrs) & 1 MUST be a lunch tour & 1 MUST be an after hours/weekend tour
- Participation in at least 1 community service event per year
- Attendance at 1 alumni/outreach event per semester
- Assistance with reading prospective Student Ambassador applications OR with conducting interviews
- Attendance at 1 meeting a semester (not towards hours)
- Regular, timely responses to emails
Officers and the Office of Professional Programs reserve the right to make changes to the above as necessary.
- Academic excellence - students must maintain at least a cumulative 3.0 GPA
- Attend program training for ambassador professional development
- Dress professionally (business casual)
- Be knowledgeable about the college
- Serve as a positive role model for students
- Maintain regular communication with the Office of Student Affairs, both in-person and by e-mail
- Attend regular meetings
- Commit time and effort to events and activities
- Available to work evenings, weekends, and/or one to two weeks during the summer
If you are interested in becoming a student ambassador you cannot simultaneously have the follow positions due to the time commitments:
- Student Government
- Vice President
- Vice President
Application information will be sent out to the class via email. Application requirements include a current resume and essay.
*On your resume, please make sure you include activities and experiences outside of veterinary medicine.
Application Timeline - TBA
Applications will be reviewed and students will be interviewed and notified of selection.
Student ambassadors are chosen from a very competitive applicant pool. We typically get 50-60 applications and only 6-10 applicants are selected each year.