Professional and Academic Honors
- Recipient, Undergraduate Research Development Award 1970
- Recipient, Ralston Purina Small Animal Research Award 1979
- Recipient, Beecham Award for Research Excellence 1985
- Recipient, Norden Distinguished Teacher Award 1993
- Recipient, Merck Sharp Dohme Agvet Award for Teaching Creativity 1993
- Recipient, Schunk-Prize for Veterinary & Human Research, Justus-Liebig University, Giessen, Ger, 1995.
- Recipient, D. L. T. Smith Visiting Scientist Award, Western College of Veterinary Medicine University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, 1997
- Recipient, Dean's Teaching Excellence Award for Graduate Education, 1997
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Veterinary Microbiology, Western College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Sk Canada, 1999-2008
- Fellow, Academic Leadership Program/Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC), 2000-01
- Interim Director, Center for Retrovirus Research, College of Veterinary Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH. 1991-1992.
- Associate Dean for Research (interim), College of Veterinary Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH. 1996-1997.
- Member, American College of Veterinary Pathology
- Supervisor, Infectious Diseases Laboratory
- Supervisor, The Gnotobiotic Life Laboratory
National Professional Service
- Editorial Board, Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology, 1983-1987.
- Vice President/President: American Association of Veterinary Immunology, 1986-8.
- Chm, Immunopathology Specialty Group, ACVP, 1987-1988.
- North American Editor, Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology, 1987-2000.
- Vet. Med. 602 (Urinary System), 1974-1978.
- Vet. Path. 550.01 and 550.02 (Common Medical Principles V, Biology of Disease), 1978-present (2006); team leader
- Student Elective/Individual Studies (Vet Path 693) in Applied (Necropsy) Gross and Microscopic Pathology, 1993-1997, and Individual Studies (Vet. Path. 693) for graduate students
- Advanced Gross Pathology (Vet. Path. 796.08)
- Necropsy and Surgical Pathology (Applied Vet. Med. 700.14)
- Seminar (Vet. Path. 850)
- Individual Studies (Vet. Path. 693)