- About the College
- Veterinary Medical Center
- Departments & Offices
LAM Outreach Programs
The Ohio State University Laboratory Animal Medicine Program actively promotes the advancement of knowledge in the fields of Laboratory Animal Medicine and Human Medicine by providing a variety of training experiences to other organizations within the Columbus area.
Lab Animal Training Techniques
Our program assists the OSU Agricultural Science Interns, the Bradford School Veterinary Technician Program, the Columbus State Veterinary Technician Program, the Ohio Veterinary Medical Association (OVMA), and the Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association (SCAVMA).
- Wet labs, for exposure to common lab animal species to include handling, enrichment and current techniques in the care of these species.
- Wet lab support for the training of medical techniques.
- Discussions/lectures on the variety of species dealt with in lab animal medicine.
- Provide information/speakers for Career Exploration type programs on the exciting available careers in Lab Animal Medicine.
- Internship opportunities for OSU Animal Science students interested in lab animal medicine. The experience includes basic exposure to operations, surgery, medicine, as well as a preventive medicine program.
- Externship programs which give the student the opportunity to work closely with Board Certified Laboratory Animal Veterinarians, Laboratory Animal Health Technicians, Registered Veterinary Technicians and support staff.
Our department provides animals and support for outside medical organizations. These organizations have training personnel with certification credentials and CEU granting privileges for personnel at Doctors Hospitals, Grant Paramedics, Med Flight, Youngstown EMS program, Eastland Vocational and other fire departments.
Past support provided includes:
- Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS)
- Perfusion Anatomy and Trauma Techniques
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- Other courses may also be requested
If you are interested in more information concerning any of the available training please contact:
- Mandy Leber, Phone: 614-292-5094
- Need Training? See our web site! http://ular.osu.edu/training/