The Ohio State University Laboratory Animal Medicine Program actively promotes the advancement of knowledge in the fields of Laboratory Animal Medicine and Human Medicine by providing a variety of training experiences to other organizations within the Columbus area.
Lab Animal Training Techniques
Our program assists the OSU Agricultural Science Interns, the Bradford School Veterinary Technician Program, the Ohio Veterinary Medical Association (OVMA), and the Student Chapter of the American Society of Laboratory Animal Practitioners.
- Wet labs, for exposure to common lab animal species to include handling, enrichment and current techniques in the care of these species.
- Wet lab support for the training of medical techniques.
- Discussions/lectures on the variety of species dealt with in lab animal medicine.
- Provide information/speakers for Career Exploration type programs on the exciting available careers in Lab Animal Medicine.
- Internship opportunities for OSU Animal Science students interested in lab animal medicine. The experience includes basic exposure to operations, surgery, medicine, as well as a preventive medicine program.
- Externship programs which give the student the opportunity to work closely with Board Certified Laboratory Animal Veterinarians,Registered Veterinary Technicians and support staff.
Our department provides animals and support for outside medical organizations. These organizations have training personnel with certification credentials and CEU granting privileges for personnel at Doctors Hospitals, Southern Ohio Medical Center, OU Lancaster, Youngstown EMS Program and other fire departments.
Past support provided includes:
- Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS)
- Perfusion Anatomy and Trauma Techniques
- Other courses may also be requested