- Tricia Gerhart (DVM student, class of 2012): Tricia was at the UFPB, Northeastern Brazil for two months in summer 2009. She worked on phenotypic and genotypic characterization of staphylococcal isolates from bovine milk and various environmental samples obtained from the same farm from Northeastern Brazil. She was funded by the OSU CVM Summer research program (Mentor: Dr. Gebreyes). Tricia worked with a preceptor at the Federal University of Paraiba in Brazil (Prof. Celso Bruno). The main emphasis of her summer project was to determine the epidemiologic relatedness of Staphylococcus isolates from multiple environmental samples to bovine milk using phenotypic characterization (speciation, antibiotic resistance testing) and genotyping (pulsed-field gel electrophoresis, PFGE).
- Erin Hisrich (MPH student, class of 2009): Erin spent two months in summer 2009 at UFPB, Northeastern Brazil. Her summer project was on dairy production and milk quality in Northeastern Brazil with the objectives of gaining an insight into the process of milk production in the Northeast region of Brazil and how management practices differ from those implemented in the United States, understand the importance of milk quality and the health risks posed by the presence of pathogens in milk and milk products in the region and to learn more about hazard analysis and prevention, and measures to establish critical control points in small diary processing plants in order to minimize impact from biological, chemical and physical sources of contamination. Hisrich is advised by Dr. Gebreyes (OSU) and had a preceptor from the UFPB (Dr. Celso Bruno) during her two months stay in Brazil.
- In Summer, 2008, four students from OSU (two DVM professional and two MPH) participated in a six weeks practical course at Makerere university in Uganda. This course was organized by the North Dakota State University (NDSU) under the direction of Dr. Margaret Khaitsa. The students (Pamela Fry, Megan Drobotij, Crystal Snare and Narry Tiao) spent a very valuable time learning animal production systems, agrosecurity, food safety and zoonotic diseases interface between domestic and wild animals. More details about this course can be found at: http://vetmicro.ndsu.nodak.edu/pdf_files/Uganda%20Brochure.pdf
- Narry, Tiao (Former MPH, VPH specialization student, class of 2008): Narry conducted a two months research project at UFPB investigating carriage of MRSA in bovine milk in North-eastern Brazil. Her advisor at OSU is Dr. Gebreyes and she had a preceptor (Dr. Celso B. Oliveira) during her stay in Brazil. Narry is currently a CDC Emerging Infectious Diseases fellow and relocated to Atlanta, GA.
- Johana Rosenfield (DVM student, class of 2010): Johanna spent two months at UFPB in Summer 2007 funded by the CVM summer research program. During her stay at UFPB, she participated on a research project investigating bovine milk for salmonellosis and contamination with Pseudomonas aeruginosa.