- About the College
- Departments & Offices
- Veterinary Hospitals
Annual Open House
Our next Open House will take place on Sunday, Sept. 20, 2015 from 12 - 5 p.m.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us a prospective [at] cvm [dot] osu [dot] edu.
Saturday, April 5, 2014 at 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. (rain or shine)
The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine Open House is an opportunity for everyone in the family to discover the fantastic world of veterinary medicine. Each year we open our doors to the community to see behind the scenes of The Ohio State University’s premiere veterinary school and celebrate the role of animals in people’s live. A self-guided tour will take visitors through the Veterinary Medical Center, where students, faculty and staff will provide information about our services and the profession. The event includes a variety of demonstrations throughout the day, seminars, exhibits and the popular children’s activity center. Children can bring their own stuffed animals or purchase a teddy bear for $5 for the teddy bear surgery activity. There will be an educational presentation by the Columbus Zoo and attendees will learn about and see some of the animals that travel with Jack Hanna.
Click here for a detailed schedule!
2014 Open House Special Attraction: Animal Connections: Our Journey Together
The Smithsonian Institution's traveling exhibit “Animal Connections: Our Journey Together,” sponsored by Zoetis Animal Health,will be available to tour during Open House 2014. Housed in a mini-museum inside an expandable 18-wheeler, the 1,000-square foot exhibit introduces visitors of all ages to the human-animal bond. Whether you’re an aspiring veterinarian, an animal lover, or a health care professional, you and your family will find something to capture your interest in this exhibit. Take a video tour now.
- Five main sections devoted to animals in the home, on the farm, at the zoo, in the wild and at the veterinary clinic.
- “Find Your Dream Pet” game allows users to answer questions about the environment and care they can give a pet, and the kind of relationship they hope to have with the animal.
- A virtual clinic at the center of the exhibition provides visitors the opportunity to be the veterinarian. Through touch screens, they can examine and diagnose what ails their virtual patients--a dog, a piglet and a cheetah.
- A display in the farm section highlights the mobile clinics that large animal veterinarians stock with a variety of tools.
- Behind-the-scenes insights into animal care and research at the Smithsonian’s National Zoo.
The exhibit was created to celebrate the 150th Anniversary of the American Veterinary Medical Association in 2013 and is sponsored by Zoetis Animal Health and the American Veterinary Medicine Foundation.
Online registration is now closed. Online registration is not required and you can register the day of the event at the registration table.
There is no limit to the number of people who can register for this event.
This is a free event and is open to the public. We ask attendees to donate cat food or dog food. Pet food donations will be given to area animal shelters.
Children can bring their own stuffed animals or purchase a teddy bear for $5 for the teddy bear surgery activity.
Important Information About Your Visit
- Visitors who have been outside the United States after March 1 will be asked to visit the registration table so that students can assess whether they
- might pose a risk of spreading a foreign animal disease. This helps us ensure the health of our patients and Ohio State animals.
- During the Annual Open House the college will be photographing exhibits, tours, presentations and other gatherings. Open House attendees consent to have their photograph taken and possibly used in various types of media promoting the Open House. By registering for this event you agree to allow The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine to use photographs of the event which may include you in printed materials, and on our website. If you DO NOT consent to having your photograph taken during the event you will need to let the photographer know.
- We ask that you leave your dogs and other pets at home in a safe and comfortable environment We want to maintain appropriate biosecurity and infection control for our patients, livestock, and your pets. Please remember that no animal may remain in an unattended vehicle at any time.
The Subway store located in the Veterinary Medical Center will be open from 9:00am - 3:00pm. They will be selling breakfast, lunch, and coffee throughout the day.
Some free parking is available in the Sisson Hall parking lot to the East of the Veterinary Medical Center (denoted in blue) as well as along Coffey Road. Parking to the North of the Veterinary Medical Center in the Ornamental Plant Germplasm Center (denoted in yellow) will require purchase of a parking permit. Please reference the map below for parking areas.