Small animal specialty hospital. Specialities include internal medicine, medical and radiation oncology, surgery, critical care and emergency.
FYI - This description is related to the oncology experience only. Student will be exposed to all aspects of medical oncology and radiation oncology, client interaction, supportive care for sick oncology patients.
All doctors in each department/specialty are board certified in their respective specialty. The medical oncologists DACVIM and Dr. Ruslander is double boarded in medical oncology and radiation oncology - DACVIM, DACVR
- VSH of the Carolinas in Cary has a library containing journals and books.
- There is access to computer databases.
- All specialties hold rounds for their respective department daily.
- Students are expected to be punctual, dress professionally, and be courteous to the clients, doctors, and nurses.
- Students will observe client interaction, patient physical exams, and chemotherapy and radiation treatments.
- Students can assist the doctors with physical exams and most procedures.
Clinical rotation is approx 40 hours/week. Hours are typically 9am-5pm, Monday through Friday. Students will not be expected to oversee patients on the weekends on the oncology rotation.