- About the College
- Veterinary Medical Center
- Departments & Offices
U of GA Poultry Diagnostic & Research Ctr. Externship Program
The externship program is reserved for prospective veterinarians with a specific interest in pursuing a career in the poultry industry and provides an opportunity to gain first hand experience of the veterinarian's role in the poultry industry. Externs will get an opportunity to shadow the Masters in Avian Medicine students thus gaining exposure to formal classes, farm visits, necropsy sessions and diagnostic procedures.
DVM student externship rotation:
- UGA vet medicine students must have a genuine interest in poultry medicine (must have completed A VMD 5000).
- Vet medicine students from other universities must be referred by their major professor.
- Introduce students to the workings of the poultry industry, highlighting the importance of the veterinarian and potential opportunities for graduates wishing to pursue a career in this discipline.
- Hands on experience during farm visits, necropsy sessions, diagnostic work-ups and research projects.
Encourage veterinarians to pursue a career in the poultry industry and enroll in a graduate program in poultry medicine.
Externs will get an opportunity to shadow the Masters in Avian Medicine students thus gaining exposure to formal classes, farm visits, necropsy sessions and diagnostic procedures.
Accommodation is available on a "first-come-first-served" basis in the PDRC guest house. This facility is on the PCRC premises and has three bedrooms, a single bathroom, kitchen and living room.
The American Association of Avian Pathologists (AAAP) offers a preceptor scholarship of $1200 in honor of Ken Eskelund. For details contact Sue Clanton at the AAAP office (phone number 706-542-5645; or email sclanton [at] uga [dot] edu.
It is only possible to accommodate two students at any one time, so it is advisable to apply for a position as far in advance as possible. Applications must be made to:
Stephen R. Collett
The University of Georgia
College of Veterinary Medicine
Poultry Diagnostic and Research Center
953 College Station Road
Athens, GA 30602-4875
email: colletts [at] uga [dot] edu