- About the College
- Veterinary Medical Center
- Departments & Offices
Steinbeck Country Equine Clinic
A full service referral hospital conveniently located on the coast of central California, between Monterey and Salinas, where people still care about the rare qualities of commitment, excellence and integrity. A place where horses' care is not limited to an eight hour clock... where experience, education and technology come together, and attention to detail can be expected.
Steinbeck Country Equine Clinic offers an externship program to veterinary students in their third and fourth year of veterinary school. The externship program gives students exposure to a balance of medical, surgical and ambulatory practice. In addition to participation during our regular clinic hours Monday-Friday, externs are asked to participate in daily and evening treatments and emergency duties (including weekends) during their stay.
We have between eight and ten doctors at our clinic. Students can get a chance to work with our two board certified veterinarians-Dr. Tim Eastman and Dr. Jonathan Hirsch. Our practice is 100% equine with a 50/50 division between in house and ambulatory. We have a state of the art surgical facility and intensive care unit, advanced diagnostic imaging including video endoscopy/gastroscopy, digital radiography and advanced ultrasound. We also have a breeding program.
Associate Veterinarians and special expertise available
- Tim G. Eastman, DVM, DACVS, MPVM
- Alexandra Eastman, DVM, MS
- Matt Durham, DVM
- Eric W. Davis, DVM, DACVS, DACVIM, MS
- Wade Tenney, DVM
- Nora Grenager, VMD
- Nick Carlson, DVM
- Laramie Winfield, DVM
- Olivia Rudolphi, DVM
- morning rounds with the doctors
- a monthly consultation with Dr. Sarah Puchalski--a board-certified radiologist
- Academic Topic Rounds & Journal Club one time per month
- anesthesia rounds one time per month
- book library in the conference room
- all journal articles, Pub Med, IVIS
- other internet ubscriptions: Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasounds; Veterinary Surgery; American Journal of Veterinary Research; Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- equipment & services: blood Pressure, CBC, Serum, Chemistry, electrocardiography, endoscopy, intensive care during business and after hours, radiology, ultrasound, doppler ultrasounography, parenteral nutrition capabilities
- We work with Antech Lab, Idexx Lab, and Specialty Labs.
If a student has liability insurance coverage, he or she may assist with treatments, observe surgeries, ride on ambulatory calls, help with radiology, observe lameness workups, emergency care, dentals, breeding, etc. The types of cases are greatly varied--with lots of sports medicine, surgeries (including Arthroscopic, Laparoscopic and Laser), preventative care, and reproduction. The doctors see six to eight horses a day, if not more. Steinbeck Country Equine Clinic provides Shockwave, Stem Cell, IRAP, and Tildren therapies, as well as Bone Marrow injections. We have an Anderson Sling for horses needing extra support.
Externs generally rotate through each area of the practice, however students may request an emphasis on one particular area. Each of the veterinarians in the practice, including current interns, vote for internship selection. Therefore, students interested in our internship program are asked to visit the clinic for at least one week and to spend time working with each of our associate veterinarians.
In order to make your visit as productive as possible, the program is set up to accommodate only two externs at a time. Space is filled, well in advance--on a first-come, first-serve basis. This is a chance for students to experience working in a private equine practice in central California where we have everything from show jumpers to working ranch horses, minis to draft horses. We can offer a fun and educational time.
See "Responsibilities" above.
Yes, externs are provided with on-site accommodations.
Steinbeck Country Equine Clinic
15881 Toro Hills Avenue
Salinas, CA 93908
Email: apatterson [at] steinbeckequine [dot] com
Signature On File: Tim Eastman, DVM, DACVS