We are looking for motivated individuals who are ready to learn and willing to work hard. Since we are strictly a specialty and emergency referral center, SAVSEC is a great place for the extern that has intern and residency aspirations. We are a 24/7 multi-facility practice that offers clients and their pets the best in state-of-the-art procedures such as advanced diagnostic imaging (ultrasound and CT), radiation therapy, endoscopy, and laparoscopy.
Associate Veterinarians and special expertise available
We have over 20 veterinarians and over 70 members in our support staff. We consider ourselves the premier center in Southern Arizona to host interns as we offer rotations with boarded specialists or residency trained veterinarians in internal medicine, surgery, oncology, critical care, ophthalmology, and dermatology. We also have relationships with specialists that do part-time work with our clients in dentistry, anesthesia, radiology and integrative medicine.
Our goal is to help interns grow from a purely learning state of mind, to taking a front seat in providing quality patient care. We do this through an integrative approach of clinical practice, teaching and education.
- Interns are expected to attend daily rounds, weekly lectures and a monthly journal club.
- Interns are expected to complete a small research project by the end of the year (small retrospective, case study, etc).
- The intern will have ample opportunity to hone clinical skills as well as communication skills. We value communication skills, as SAVSEC is often serving both the clients and the local veterinarians.
- SAVSEC doctors are also active in the continuing education circuit both in the community and within the hospital.
- In addition, SAVSEC is proud to announce we have the only active blood bank in Southern Arizona and we are able to offer our patients and local veterinarians quality blood products such as packed red blood cells, fresh frozen plasma and cryoprecipitate.
We expect our Externs to be flexible. When there are unique or interesting cases we want to share the experience so the Externs in that week may be pulled from their rotation to look at the case. Aside from working hard, we expect our Eterns to HAVE FUN in the desert. Tucson is a wonderfully unique city with the beauty of the mountains and cactus forests contrasted against the vast Arizona sky. Over 300 cloud-free days means there isn't much you can't do year-round. Hiking, biking, and skiing (snow and water) can be done either in your back yard or within a few hours drive.
7 days a week 24 hours a day for ER 7a-6p Mon-Fri for Specialty rotations
Southern Arizona Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Center
141 East Fort Lowell Road
Tucson, AZ 85705
Signature On File: Dr. Jen Klaus