- About the College
- Veterinary Medical Center
- Departments & Offices
Shelter Medicine Club
Our mission is to introduce you to the new and exciting specialty of Shelter Medicine in Veterinary Medicine and increase student awareness of the various roles veterinarians can play in animal welfare organizations. We also hope to raise awareness of issues pertaining to homeless animals and pet overpopulation. As a member of the Shelter Medicine Club, we hope to give you many opportunities to see how veterinarians involved with animal welfare organizations fulfill the veterinary oath to benefit society "through the protection of animal health, the relief of animal suffering...the promotion of public health, and the advancement of scientific knowledge" on a daily basis.
Show your concern for animal welfare.... join today!
We hope you will join us in our efforts to improve the lives of homeless animals! Several interesting meeting topics and ongoing activities are currently being planned for the upcoming school year.
Probable meeting topics include:
- Animal Welfare in Columbus with CAHS Humane Agent
- SAFER behavioral testing with Emily Weiss
- Intro to Rural Area Veterinary Services (RAVS)
- Veterinary Forensic
Other activities should include:
- Ride-alongs with Humane Officers
- Spay/neuter clinics through SOS Ohio and Cat Welfare (e-mail an officer for dates)
- Continuation of Safe Summer program
- Foster care opportunities
- Volunteering at local shelter events
- Trip to volunteer at Animal Rescue New Orleans
Please check our bulletin board in VHA for updates, and the announcement of our first meeting. Don't hesitate to contact us with questions!
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant