- About the College
- Veterinary Medical Center
- Departments & Offices
Safe Harbor Farm
Shelter & Population Medicine Externship. Safe Harbor Farm is a private shelter with a high-volume, high-quality, low-cost spay-neuter clinic targeting low-income & multi-pet households (The Kindness Clinic). Located in rural Jones County, N.C., Safe Harbor Farm sits next to the Croatan National Forest, 30 minutes from the Atlantic Ocean. This is a full-time, 2 - 6 week comprehensive externship designed and coordinated by a veterinarian with over 30 years of veterinary hospital experience (8 years as a practice owner), more than 7 years of animal sheltering expertise (everything from clinical case management to non-profit oversight and court case preparation, deposition & expert testimony) and a Bachelors of Business Administration in accounting & financial management.
Over 5,000 animals have been helped via our shelter and outreach programs since our inception in 2003. Our shelter animal population averages 90, and last years our veterinarians spay-neutered 815 cats & dogs. More information is available online at the link below.
Goals & Objectives
To gain a better understanding of quality sheltering and population medicine, including:
- surgical opportunities will be available on shelter-owned animals (Note: NC State law precludes student practice on client-owned animals.)
- effective client communication
- population epidemiology (utilizing NC statistics, but with assignments relevant to the state of the student's choice)
- community needs analysis pertaining to animal surpluses
- shelter & practice business management
- animal law & legislation
- veterinarians in the courtroom
- animal behavior & safe animal handling
- effective adoption protocols
- visits to multiple shelters
- cat colony management
- small animal herd health
This is a full-time, hands-on externship opportunity. Expect to be immersed in all clinical & operational aspects of our 90+ animal shelter & clinic. No stipend is offered, and medical insurance is the responsibility of the student.
- Supervising Veterinarian: Lynne Swanson, BBA, DVM (COR ‘86)
- Supervising Technician: Marie Fachet
Safe Harbor Farm will gladly provide comfortable pet-friendly housing at our facility within biking distance of many basic amenities (grocery store, post office, library). Supervisors also live onsite. Wireless Internet available. No-smoking facility. Pets welcome.
Lynne V. Swanson, DVM, Director
Safe Harbor Farm
P.O. Box 493
Maysville, NC 28555
email: safeharborfarmadoptions [at] hotmail [dot] com
Signature on file: Dr. Lynne V. Swanson