SCAVMA members may view their point totals from this page. Point totals are updated online twice a quarter.
Points System Information
Why do we have the points system?
The points system has been in place for many years now and is used in various SCAVMA chapters to determine "active/good-standing" membership. Points are allotted for activities that involve both personal career development and general service to the OSU CVM community. The system is also a model for Continuing Education credits, that all veterinarians must take part in for licensure requirements.
What do points get me?
There are SCAVMA specific membership benefits that you can only take advantage of if you are up on your points. Professional Development Funds (PDFs) are only available to those students with sufficient points for their previous year in school (Or 3+/quarter if a first year). You can receive up to $500 in PDFs per academic year!
During your veterinary school experience you will have many externship opportunities. Many of these opportunities require liability insurance. To apply for Professional Liability Insurance through AVMA PLIT (Note - You should also apply PLIT if you are working in a clinic on the job or as an extern.) you must be an "active/good-standing" member with sufficient points in order to pay the significantly reduced premium of $10. More about student liability/malpractice insurance.
What constitutes a point eligible activity?
Many events and lectures can be considered point eligible. All events that in some way "give back" to the community or lectures that are provide educational or professional development will be considered. Non-eligible events are those in which a company representative promotes any specific company drug or product. If you would like to offer points at your event, please contact the SCAVMA President or Vice President via email with at least two weeks notice. Ultimately, the SCAVMA Executive Committee makes the final decision on whether or not points can be awarded.
To Be a Member in "Good-Standing" you must:
- Pay your annual dues
- Participate in SCAVMA events, committees, etc.
- Participation will be measured by points. The minimum number of points required are:
- First year: 8 points
- Second year: 6 points
- Third year: 4 points
- Fourth year: 2 points
For the current year, good standing for the purpose of PDFs includes
- Having paid your dues for the current year and all previous years
- Having earned full points for all previous years
Points will be awarded as follows:
|Number of Points||Event|
|5||SCAVMA Executive office|
|4||SCAVMA Committee chairperson, SAVMA delegates|
|1 per quarter||SCAVMA Committee member|
|4- freshman; 3- sophomore, junior||SCAVMA Class representative|
|3||Class OVESS representative, SCAVMA Hill's representative|
|1||Payment of annual dues|
|1||Attending a SCAVMA meeting|
|1||Baking or working at a SCAVMA sale|
|1||Working or donating at a blood drive|
|1||Executive position (Pres, VP, Sec, Treas) in any recognized veterinary school club (listed below)|
|2||Class executive officer|
|variable||Other SCAVMA approved events|
Veterinary school clubs approved for points for Executive positions should be registered with Student Affairs. If you have questions about whether or not your club is approved for points, please e-mail Katie Daniel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following groups are NOT approved for points:
- Alpha Psi
- Food/pharmaceutical company representatives
Procedure for Points Appeals
SCAVMA recognizes that occasionally points are missed or not accounted for appropriately. If you feel your points totals are not correct after reviewing them with the points chairperson, please follow the below appeal information to have your special circumstances reviewed by the SCAVMA Executive Board.
- All appeals must be typed and submitted to an executive officer in writing including:
- Email address
- Date and name of event in question
- Explanation of special circumstances - no more than 2 typed paragraphs
- You are responsible for signing in at meetings or approved events in order to receive your point.
- Unprofessional appeals will not be approved or answered.
- Appeals for a given quarter must be received by the second meeting of the following quarter to be considered.
- If you are planning a points-giving event, you must contact the SCAVMA President or Vice-president AND the Points Chairperson PRIOR to the event.
- All decisions made by the executive board are final.