- About the College
- Veterinary Medical Center
- Departments & Offices
Fifi - 29 year old male African Black-Footed Penguin from Baltimore Zoo
- History of chronic severe spinal arthritis and difficulty walking
- Previous oral fissure, now healed
- Medications: Tramodol and Cosequin
- Presented for weight loss and regurgitation
- Progressive dyspnea and weakness
- CBC findings:
- Moderate leukocytosis
- Marked hypoalbuminemia
- Severe derangements on protein electrophoresis
- Elected euthanasia due to declining condition
Prominent Keel, muscle atrophy
When you open the coelom, you see this:
You remove the pluck to take a closer look... (dorsal surface is pictured)
- Can you localize the lesion to a specific organ?
- Hint: This anatomic structure is not found in mammals!
- What are your top differentials for respiratory disease in a bird? How about Penguin-specific differentials?
- What would you expect to see on a histopathology for each of these top differentials?
- Are there any special stains you could do to confirm your diagnosis?
Additional Post-Mortem Findings
Just for fun! What do you see?
Airsac Special Stains