Refer to this page often to receive up-to-date information regarding requirements for taking the North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE) as licensing via the State of Ohio Veterinary License examination.
North American Veterinary Licensing Examination
- APPLICATION #1: Submission of the national NBVME NAVLE application and corresponding fee is due by August 1, 2015 for the November-December NAVLE. The online application can be found on the National Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners website at https://www.nbvme.org/modules/application/
- APPLICATION #2: State/territorial NAVLE applications and corresponding fees are submitted through ONE licensing board by that board's application deadline date. State NAVLE application deadlines vary. Please check with your individual state for actual deadlines.
- Letters of Reference: Professional Program Support will print four letters and place them in your VMC mailbox by Friday, June 19th.
- Application Delivery: Students are responsible for the delivery of their application. For convenience, Professional Program Support will make one trip to turn in any completed Ohio applications on July 17th after 1:00 PM. If we have not received your application by 1pm on the 17th, you will need to deliver your application on your own. You can turn in your completed application to the PPS Office in VMC 0005B by the 17th at 1pm. Deadlines may vary state to state. Missing the deadline will cause you to have to wait until the April testing date. For a state breakdown of requirements visit: http://www.nbvme.org/?id=78&page=NAVLE#Application_Procedure_Chart
- Student Accommodations: Students with a documented disability who receive ODS approved accommodations while enrolled in veterinary school are strongly encouraged to request accommodations for the NOVEMBER NAVLE exam according to the instructions on the Ohio Licensing Board website.
VMC ODS Liaison: Caroline El-Khoury 614-688-8756 or email@example.com
Ohio Licensing Board: 614-644-5281 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once everyone has registered for the NAVLE, more information regarding signing up for a testing date and time will be sent out via email.
- National Board Exam http://www.nbvme.org/?id=78
- Ohio Board http://ovmlb.ohio.gov/navle.stm
If you have any additional questions or concerns, please contact CVMPPS@osu.edu. Thanks!
State of Ohio Veterinary Licensing
Information for Obtaining your Ohio License
- State of Ohio application for a Veterinary License by Examination: http://ovmlb.ohio.gov/forms/Licensure%20by%20Examination%20Application.pdf
- Professional Photographs: Students will be emailed the electronic file of their CVM photo to print as needed during the month of June by VIS.
- Transcript Requests: Official transcripts can be requested at http://registrar.osu.edu/alumni/index_transcript.asp. OVMLB must receive this within 6 weeks of your graduation date.
- Additional Letters of Recommendation: Students who apply to NAVLE through Ohio will not need additional good standing letters. Other states may request additional letters. Please contact CVMPPS@osu.edu to request any additional letters needed.
- It is required to pass the North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE) with a 75.0 or above. These scores must be transferred to the Ohio Board by the American Association of Veterinary State Boards', Veterinary Information Verifying Agency (VIVA): P.O. Box 801618, Kansas City, MO 64180-1614, phone: 877-698-8482 or 816-931-1504. These scores must be received before the Ohio Board will review an application.
- Background Checks: If an Ohio criminal background check and/or an FBI criminal background check is required, they are conducted by the Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation (BCI&I). Please check this link for places that conduct background checks: http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Services/Business/WebCheck/Webcheck-Community-Listing
- Fees: Submit the required fee, in the form of a cashier's check or money order (personal checks will not be accepted).
- Employers may contact the OVMLB for verification of licensure. All items must have been received (except for the final transcript if it is within 6 weeks of graduation), for a license to be verified.
- Application Delivery: The office of Professional Program Support will make one trip to the OVMLB on March, 25th 2016. Students wishing to submit applications before or after this date can do so at:
77 S. High Street, 16th Floor
Columbus, Ohio 43215
If you are planning to be licensed in any other state and you need assistance, please feel free to contact us with your request. Thanks!