- About the College
- Veterinary Medical Center
- Departments & Offices
Refer to this page often to receive up-to-date information regarding requirements for taking the North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE) as licensing via the State of Ohio Veterinary License examination.
North American Veterinary Licensing Examination
- APPLICATION #1: Submit the national NBVME NAVLE application and corresponding fee by August 1, 2013 for the November-December NAVLE. The online application can be found on the National Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners website at https://www.nbvme.org/modules/application/
- APPLICATION #2: Submit a state/territorial NAVLE application and corresponding fee through ONE licensing board by that board's application deadline date. State NAVLE application deadlines vary. All state licensing board applications are due on or before August 1, 2013. Please check with your individual state for actual deadlines.
- If you are applying through Ohio and are an Ohio State Student, Student Services can provide the necessary letters (4 letters). Please request them (dawkins [dot] 12 [at] osu [dot] edu) no later than July 10, 2013. They will be emailed directly to the OVMLB and you will be copied.
- If you are applying through another state and need good standing letters, Student Services can provide those. Please request them (dawkins [dot] 12 [at] osu [dot] edu) no later than July 10, 2013. Indicate if you need them mailed directly to the state veterinary board or if you will pick them up from us.
- Student Services will make one trip to turn in the Ohio application on July 19th. The Ohio Deadline is July 27, 2013. If you are applying through another state, please make sure you know their deadline. Missing the deadline will cause you to have to wait until the April testing date.
- For a state breakdown of requirements please visit http://www.nbvme.org/?id=78&page=NAVLE#Application_Procedure_Chart
- If you need a picture, you can buy 4 wallet sized pictures from Jerry Harvey for $3.00. His office is located 077 VMC.
- If a notary is needed please see:
- Robin Thornton – 008 VMAB
- Jennifer Homan – 008 VMAB
- Amanda Fark – 127 U VMAB
- If you are a student with a documented disability who has received ODS approved accommodations while enrolled in veterinary school, you are strongly encouraged to request accommodations for the NOVEMBER NAVLE exam, according to the instructions on the Ohio Licensing Board website. If you do not pass the NAVLE exam in November and did not request accommodations for the November exam, it will be VERY DIFFICULT for you to obtain approval for accommodations on the April exam (not impossible—but VERY DIFFICULT). If you have any questions about the process, please contact Dr. Jen Brandt at Phone: 614-292-6963, Email: Jennifer [dot] Brandt [at] cvm [dot] osu [dot] edu, or the Ohio Licensing Board at Phone: 614-644-5281 Email: info [at] ovmlb [dot] state [dot] oh [dot] us.
- Once everyone has registered for the NAVLE, more information regarding signing up for a testing date and time will be emailed.
- Here are the links to the National Board Exam http://www.nbvme.org/?id=78 and the Ohio Board http://ovmlb.ohio.gov/navle.stm.
If you have any additional questions or concerns, please contact me at dawkins [dot] 12 [at] osu [dot] edu. Thanks!
State of Ohio Veterinary Licensing Examination
Facts for Obtaining your Ohio License
- Complete the State of Ohio application for a Veterinary License by Examination. http://ovmlb.ohio.gov/forms/Licensure%20by%20Examination%20Application.pdf
- The application needs to be notarized and a recent photograph attached (Jerry Harvey in 0077 VMC will sell you your picture for $3.00). Notaries in the college include:
- Robin Thornton – 0004 VMAB
- Jennifer Homan – 0004 VMAB
- Amanda Fark – 127 VMAB
- The Ohio Board must receive directly from the university an official copy of your transcript with the appropriate college seal and a photocopy of your diploma. You can order your transcripts from http://registrar.osu.edu/alumni/index_transcript.asp. OVMLB must receive this within 6 weeks of your graduation date.
- If you applied to NAVLE through Ohio, you will not need any additional good standing letters. If you applied through another state, you may need additional letters. Please contact dawkins [dot] 12 [at] osu [dot] edu to request the letters you need.
- If you applied to NAVLE through Ohio, you will not need any additional personal reference letters. If you took the test through another state and plan to get licensed in Ohio, three letters of personal reference must be submitted to the Ohio Board. These letters should comment on your moral character from any adult who has known you for at least one year, but is not a member of your family. Please contact dawkins [dot] 12 [at] osu [dot] edu if you need these three letters.
- You must have passed the North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE) with a 75.0, or above. These scores must be transferred to the Ohio Board by the American Association of Veterinary State Boards', Veterinary Information Verifying Agency (VIVA): P.O. Box 801618, Kansas City, MO 64180-1614, phone: 877-698-8482 or 816-931-1504. These scores must be received before the Ohio Board will review an application.
- You must complete both an Ohio criminal background check and an FBI criminal background check, conducted by the Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation (BCI&I). Please check this link for places that do that background check: http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Services/Business/WebCheck/Webcheck-Community-Listing
- Submit the required fee, $250.00 in the form of a cashier's check or money order (personal checks will not be accepted).
- If you begin working and you have not received the hard copy of your Ohio license, your employer may contact the OVMLB for verification of your licensure. All items must have been received (except for your final transcript if it is within 6 weeks of your graduation), for your license to be verified.
- The Student Affairs Office will make one trip to the OVMLB on March 25, 2013. If you are unable to turn you application in to us by that date, or if you'd like to turn your application to the OVMLB yourself, the address is:
77 S. High Street, 16th Floor
Columbus, Ohio 43215
If you are planning to be licensed in any other state and you need assistance, please feel free to contact us with your request. Thanks!