- About the College
- Veterinary Medical Center
- Departments & Offices
- Is there a cost for this service?
- There is no cost for the Safe Summer service but we would appreciate any donation that could be made to CAHS. The donation will help offset the cost of your pet’s care but is not necessary.
- Will I get in trouble?
- No! The Safe Summer Program is designed to allow you to do the right thing for your pet without any judgment against you. We hope that you learn from this experience and wait until you can provide a stable, loving home before acquiring any more pets.
- Is CAHS a "no kill" shelter?
- CAHS is an open admission shelter, which means that we will admit any animal requiring our services unless legally prevented from doing so. We make every effort to place animals in loving homes, and there is time limit on animals available for adoption. If an animal is not medically or behaviorally sound for adoption, a decision to euthanize humanely, by injection, will be considered.
- Is there a time limit after my animal goes on the adoption floor?
- There is no time limit for animals that are placed up for adoption. The animal remains on the adoption floor as long as he/she stays healthy and behaviorally sound.
Alternatives To Relinquishing Animals to CAHS
If you are concerned about relinquishing your pet to CAHS there are alternatives.
If your parents have already decided that you cannot bring the animal home with you, have you asked any friends, family, neighbors, or roommates, either in Columbus or near home, if they would consider fostering your animal. Many people would be willing to help you for the summer if they know it is only for three months, and/or the cost of care is covered.
If you got your pet from a shelter or breed rescue you should contact them. They often prefer to place their animals in new homes if the original adopters can no longer care for them.
Breed rescue groups are an excellent resource if you have a pure bred pet. Ohio has a website which has listed rescue organizations for all breeds in the state of Ohio. Also feel free to contact us if you have questions about these groups.
* Safe Summer will only be providing transportation to CAHS, if you decide to use a breed group you will have to transport the animal yourself.