- Private Clinical Practice Veterinarians promote healthy and
efficient food animal production, prevent disease, improve comfort, and
contribute to environment sustainability on farms and ranches.
- Corporate Clinical Practice Veterinarians lead teams to assure
herd health and production efficiency for integrated production systems,
including the world's largest producers and processors of beef, pork, and
- Public Clinical Practice Veterinarians investigate disease
outbreaks in people, domestic animals, and wildlife around the world to
protect the lives and livelihood of communities and countries
- Education Veterinarians educate those who protect animal
health, relieve animal suffering, conserve animal resources, promote
public health, and advance medical knowledge.
- Research Veterinarians explore new ways to prevent disease,
discover new and emerging bacteria and viruses, and understand health and
disease at the basic molecular level of all animals.
- Public Health Veterinarians work with transdisciplinary teams
to oversee food safety, design surveillance systems, protect occupational
health, and coordinated local, national, and international program
- Uniformed Services Veterinarians protect the United States
from bioterrorism, ensure environmental health, and conduct biomedical
research and development.
- Countless Other Activities Veterinarians work in zoos,
diagnostic laboratories, wild parks, aerospace medicine, animal shelters,
animal-assisted therapy programs, ecosystem health, and many other fields.