- About the College
- Departments & Offices
- Veterinary Hospitals
Emergency/critical care small animal externship at AVETS consists of a mentored 2 week experience in emergency & critical care. The student will shadow one of four DACVECC specialists as well as C/CC residents and occasionally experiences with emergency clinicians.
Associate Veterinarians and special expertise available
- Emergency veterinarians with internship +/- extensive practice experience
- 4 DACVECC diplomates
- 3 ACVECC residents
- 1 DACVS specialist
- 1 specialist double-boarded in Medicine & Oncology
- Practicing Neurologist pending board certification
The hospital subscribes to more than 16 veterinary & human journals, has an extensive veterinary reference library, has twice daily case based rounds and weekly E/CC rounds.
- Participation in inpatient & outpatient case assessment, management & emergency procedures
- Client history taking & communication included
Typical scheduled shifts average 10-12 hours/day (never <8 hours/day) and typically average 4-5 days/week unless the student requests additional days. Access to 2 or more DVMs always!
May be available on a case by case basis with an existing resident(s).
4224 Northern Pike
Monroeville, PA 15146
Email Extern Coordinators: holbrook [at] avets [dot] us; alwood [at] avets [dot] us
Signature On File: Amy Alwood, DVM, DACVECC