- About the College
- Veterinary Medical Center
- Departments & Offices
The 100-year-old Ugolin horse painting that was famously displayed in the rotunda of the old Veterinary Clinic building on Neil Avenue for nearly half a century, has been recently restored. Its new home over the fireplace in the Hummel Grand Lounge in the Veterinary Medicine Academic Building will allow more people to enjoy the well-known painting.
The painting was commissioned by Dr. Hartman of Hartman Stock Farm for $3,000, and originally hung in the Hartman Hotel (now the Great Southern). It is of Ugolin, the first stallion used at the farm. The stallion was one of the early Percheron imports of the breed and played an important role in the development of the Percheron breed horses in this country. He was imported from France in 1902.
The fall, 1956 issue of The Speculum offers a more complete history of the painting: The Speculum (page 33, continued to page 44)