Ohio Agriculture Hall of Fame
Enshrinement in the Ohio Agriculture Hall of Fame is Ohio's highest recognition of an individual who has made outstanding contributions to the agriculture industry. Each year four persons are honored in the farmer-breeder and agriculture related categories. The number of deceased may not exceed two. The listing below honors those individuals who have served the College of Veterinary Medicine at The Ohio State University.
William L. Ingalls
Professor Emeritus, Department of Veterinary Preventive Medicine
William L. Ingalls, DVM, MS will be inducted into the Ohio Agriculture Hall of Fame on August 11, 2006 at the Awards Program held during the Ohio State Fair. Enshrinement in the Ohio Agricultural Hall of Fame is Ohio's highest recognition of an individual who has made outstanding contributions to the agricultural industry. Each year four prominent agricultural leaders are honored and inducted into the hall of fame for their superior service, dedication, leadership, and plentiful contributions to agriculture.
Dr. William L. Ingalls initially became a faculty member of The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine in 1947. He then moved into private industry where he served agriculture as vice-president of the Columbus Serum Company from 1951-1974. He served as professor and Extension Veterinarian (Swine) in the Department of Veterinary Preventive Medicine from 1974 until he officially retired in 1988. Since his retirement he has maintained an office in the Department and has remained involved in teaching and Extension activities.
During his career, Dr. Ingalls also worked in Ohio's state diagnostic laboratory in Reynoldsburg, served as assistant state pathologist with the Ohio Department of Agriculture laboratories, and worked as an associate animal pathologist at the Virginia Agriculture Experiment Station.
In addition, Dr. Ingalls has served as vice-president of the AVMA from 1985 to 1987. He served as Health Commissioner in the Pickaway County General Health District from 1988 to 1993. He also served on the Policy Review Committee for the Joint Solid Waste Management District and the Peer Review Committee at the Ohio Department of Health. He has served on the board of directors at the American Association of Extension Veterinarians and as director of the Ohio Extension Professors Association.
Vernon L. Tharp
Vernon L. Tharp, DVM, of Hilliard, has made significant contributions to the improvement of the health of dairy and beef cattle and the equine industry on the state, national and international levels for more than 60 years.
He taught veterinary medicine at The Ohio State University for 47 years. He was a liaison between agriculture and veterinary medicine and responsible for the health of OSU dairy and beef departments. He was also director of several different clinics at OSU. For his service to the University, a street was named for him in front of the Veterinary Medical Center.
Tharp has served as president of the Ohio Veterinary Medical Association, president of the American Association of Bovine Practitioners and was the executive secretary for the World Equine Association. He is also a member of the Ohio Farm Bureau, President's Club at OSU and Franklin County Fair Board for 15 years.
Berlin W. Kagy
Dr. Berlin W. Kagy, DVM, (deceased) has been a true pioneer in the artificial insemination industry. Born in Bloomville, Ohio, and a past resident of Tiffin, Ohio, Kagy bred the first cow by artificial insemination in 1940 for the Northern Ohio Breeders Association (NOBA), a producer owned cooperative.
Devoting his life to the inprofement of dairy and beef cattle in Ohio--both nationally and internationally, Kagy was credited with developing many of the practices used today in the artificial insemination industry. Over the past 44 years, he was responsible for the warm water thaw procedure, widely used by the industry today, as well as various herd health, management and testing programs. He also guided NOBA through the change from liquid to frozen semen.
Dr. Kagy was a graduate of The Ohio State University (OSU) Veterinary College in 1940.
Walter R. Krill
Dean Emeritus, College of Veterinary Medicine
Walter R. Krill has devoted nearly a half century to the furtherance of the veterinarian profession as a member of the staff and Dean of the college of Veterinary Medicine of The Ohio State University.
Dean Emeritus Krill was instrumental in developing a new professional curriculum and staff and in expanding teaching services and research programs of the College of Veterinary Medicine. During his administration, the College produced 1,275 veterinarians; and initial plans were made for complete relocation of the college into on of the finest physical facilities in the country.
Through his leadership as Sean of the Veterinary College and related activities with State and Federal government agencies, he has made material contributions to the livestock industry.
His honors include the Centennial Award and Distinguished Alumni Award of The Ohio State University.