- About the College
- College Research Day
- Departments & Offices
- Veterinary Hospitals
The College of Veterinary Medicine at The Ohio State University was established in 1885 after the OSU Board of Trustees, realizing the proportion of the state's wealth was invested in livestock and sensing the need for its adequate protection from contagious diseases, petitioned the legislature for the establishment of a veterinary college. The School was renamed the College of Veterinary Medicine in 1897.
The first entrance requirements were either examination in specified subjects, high school graduation, or a teacher's certificate. In 1906, the requirements were increased by examination in additional subjects, a high school diploma being accepted in lieu of examination for such required subjects as it included. In 1933, one year of pre-veterinary college work was required, and changed to two years beginning with the academic year 1949-1950.
From 1885 to 1914, the professional curriculum covered three years; it was increased to four years in 1915. The first class graduated in 1887 and the total number of graduates to date is more than 8,500, with more than 7,200 DVMs.
Today Ohio State’s College of Veterinary Medicine consists of approximately 105 faculty, 545 veterinary students, 125 graduate students and residents and 300 staff members.
Read A Legacy for Tomorrow recounting the first 100 years.