- About the College
- Veterinary Medical Center
- Departments & Offices
About the College
Whether you're a prospective student, a clinician or a researcher, or are seeking clinical services for your pet or farm animal, you'll find an innovative and supportive environment at Ohio State's College of Veterinary Medicine.
Established in 1885, the College has graduated more than 7,200 veterinarians and our alumni practice in all 50 states and 59 countries. Within Ohio, our graduates make up 85 percent of the practicing veterinarians in the state. Our comprehensive referral Veterinary Medical Center admits more than 35,000 animal patients each year representing a wide range of species, including companion, farm and service animals.
Consider our contributions in advancing veterinary medical education, clinical care and research:
- Veterinary college researchers developed the first feline leukemia vaccine, patented by Ohio State, licensed to Zoetis (formally Pfizer), Inc., now routinely used worldwide.
- The college is the lead institution in the Center for Retrovirus Research with Dr. Patrick Green serving as director.
- Faculty members have been on the leading edge in the development of advanced orthopedic procedures including fracture repair and arthroscopy in horses and total hip replacement in dogs.
- Faculty in the animal health group at the Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center (OARDC) are recognized internationally for their work in infectious diseases.
- The college has one of the first and finest clinical residency programs in the nation.
- The college sponsors a comprehensive continuing education program for veterinarians and the public, including the premier orthopedics conference in the world.
- The Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences received the first University Departmental Teaching Award, and the college has produced both University Distinguished Teachers and Distinguished Scholars. The college faculty is also well published in scientific literature including several leading textbooks, and faculty members are frequent lecturers at conferences locally, nationally and internationally.
Learn more about our educational programs in biosciences, clinical sciences and preventive medicine. Explore our hospital services and state-of-the-art large and small animal initiatives. See what our clinics and facilities offer.