- About the College
- Veterinary Medical Center
- Departments & Offices
Vernon L. Tharp 1970 to 1972
Phillip R. Murdick 1972 to 1981
Edward F. Donovan 1981 to 1983
William W. Muir 1983 to 1993
Robert Sherding 1993 to 2006
Rustin Moore 2006 to present
Dr. Vernon L. Tharp was a 1940 graduate of the College and was a part of the college family for 46 years. Dr. Tharp served as the head of the Ambulatory Unit from 1942 to 1946 and as Director of Veterinary Clinics from 1946 to 1972. Dr. Tharp was a Professor of Veterinary Medicine from 1955 to 1983, serving as the Chair of Medicine from 1960 until the Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences was formed in 1970. Dr. Tharp served as the inaugural chair of the Department. From 1972 until his retirement in 1983, Dr. Tharp served as an Associate Dean of the College. In his honor, the street in front of the Veterinary Medical Center is named “Vernon L. Tharp Street.” Dr. Tharp served the profession as vice president of the World Veterinary Association, and as president of the American Association of Bovine Practitioners, the Ohio Veterinary Medical Association, and the American Veterinary Medical Association. Dr. Tharp received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Ohio Animal Health Foundation and was honored with induction in the Ohio Agricultural Hall of Fame.
Dr. Phillip Murdick was a 1952 graduate of the College who joined the faculty in 1956 and rose through the ranks to become a full professor in 1969. Dr. Murdick received his Master of Science in 1958 and his PhD in 1964 from the College. Dr. Murdick became Chair of the Department in 1972, serving for nine years before becoming the Associate Dean for Curriculum and Education in 1981. A specialist in Veterinary Reproduction and Obstetrics, Dr. Murdick was an early adoptor of personal computers and led early technology efforts in the College. Dr. Murdick retired from the University in 1988.
Dr. Edward Donovan was a 1949 graduate of the College who joined the faculty in 1955, becoming an associate professor in 1959, and a full professor in 1962. Prior to entering veterinary college, Dr. Donovan served as a pilot in the United States Army Air Corps. An outstanding educator, Dr. Donovan received a Distinguished Teacher Award from Alpha Psi veterinary fraternity and the Norden Distinguished Teaching Award from the College in 1970. Dr. Donovan was a founding diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine. Dr. Donovan retired from the University in 1983. Dr. Donovan also served as National Director of Research for the Morris Animal Foundation.
Dr. William Muir received his Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree from Michigan State University in 1970. Dr. Muir came to Ohio State as a graduate student in the Department of Veterinary Physiology and Pharmacology, receiving his Master's degree in 1971 and his PhD in 1974. Dr. Muir joined the faculty in 1974, becoming an associate professor in 1978 and a professor in 1982. Dr. Muir served as Chair from 1982 until 1993. Dr. Muir is a diplomate of both the American College of Veterinary Anesthesiologists and the American College of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care. Dr. Muir is co-editor of The Handbook of Veterinary Anesthesia and Equine Anesthesia, Monitoring and Intensive Therapy. Dr. Muir has won numerous awards including the American College of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Scientific Achievement Award, The Ohio State University Outstanding Service Award for Graduate Education, and the Beecham and Ralston Purina Awards for research excellence. Dr. Muir retired from the University in 2007. Dr. Muir became Medical Director of the Animal Medical Center in New York in 2009.
Dr. Robert Sherding was a 1973 graduate of the College who served an internship at Angell Memorial Hospital in Boston before returning to Ohio State to pursue a residency in Small Animal Internal Medicine. Dr. Sherding joined the faculty in 1976. Dr. Sherding served as Chair from 1993 to 2006 during which the Department received the University’s Departmental Teaching Award. A Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, Dr. Sherding is the author or co-author of two landmark textbooks, The Cat and Saunders Manual of Small Animal Practice, which he co-edited with Dr. Steve Birchard. Dr. Sherding has received numerous awards including the Friskies Pet Care Award from the American Animal Hospital Association, the Bourgelet Award from the British Small Animal Veterinary Association, a Distinguished Service Award from the Ohio Veterinary Medical Association, and the Faculty Achievement Award from the American Association of Veterinary Clinicians.
Dr. Rustin Moore was a 1989 graduate of the College who served an internship at the University of Georgia in large animal medicine and surgery before returning to Ohio State to pursue a residency in equine surgery and graduate training. Dr. Moore completed his residency and received his PhD in 1994. Dr. Moore is a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons. Following his residency, Dr. Moore joined the faculty of the School of Veterinary Medicine at Louisiana State University, attaining the rank of professor in 2001. Dr. Moore served as service chief of the Equine Medicine and Surgery Section and the Director of the Equine Health Studies Program at Louisiana State. Dr. Moore returned to Ohio State and became chair of the Department in 2006. In 2008, he was named the Bud and Marilyn Jenne Professor. Dr. Moore has served as a member of the Board of Directors of the American Association of Equine Practitioners. In 2009, Dr. Moore received a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Fifth International Equine Conference on Laminitis and Diseases of the Foot. In addtion to his position as chair, he is also the current interim director of the hospital.
Vernon L. Tharp 1970 to 1972
Robert Whiteus 1972 to 1984
James Kerins 1984 to 1987
Lawrence Heider 1987 to 1988
John Hubbell 1988 to 1991
Glen Hoffsis 1991 to 1993
Richard Bednarski 1993 to 2006
Grant Frazer 2006 to 2009
See section on Department Chairs
Dr. Robert Whiteus was a 1952 graduate of the College. Dr. Whiteus joined the faculty in large animal medicine and surgery but soon shifted his focus to small animal receiving. During his early years as a faculty member, Dr. Whiteus pursued a Master's Degree in Hospital Administration which led to his appointment as Hospital Director in 1972. During his tenure, Dr. Whiteus oversaw the planning and construction for the Veterinary Medical Center, a $9.3 million dollar undertaking, which opened during the 1972-1973 school year. Dr. Whiteus served as Hospital Director until 1984 when he became Assistant Dean for Finances and Personnel. Dr. Whiteus retired from the University in 1988
James Kerins received his Master's in Hospital and Health Sciences Administration from The Ohio State University in 1974. Prior to becoming Hospital Director, Mr. Kerins served as a field representative of the Ohio Hospital Association and the Health Sciences Division of the McDonnell-Douglas Health Systems Company, and as an Assistant Administrator at Ohio State’s University Hospital. Mr. Kerins was a Major in the United States Army Reserve serving with his unit in Springfield, Ohio. Mr. Kerins was an avid breeder and owner of Thoroughbred horses. Mr. Kerins served as Hospital Director from 1984 to 1987.
Dr. Lawrence Heider was a 1964 graduate of the College who joined the faculty in 1966 as an ambulatory clinician. Dr. Heider served on the faculty for 25 years. Dr. Heider became Hospital Director in 1987, serving for two years before becoming Chair of the Department of Veterinary Preventive Medicine at the College. Dr. Heider left the College to become Dean of the Atlantic Veterinary College at the University of Prince Edward Island (UPEI) in 1991, serving for seven years and then serving as acting president of the University for one year. The Atlantic Veterinary College presents the Dr. Lawrence E. Heider Leadership Award each fall during its Awards and Recognition Night to a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine student who exemplifies leadership qualities throughout the campus and among fellow students. Dr. Heider joined the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges as Executive Director in 2002, retiring in 2007. In 2004, Dr. Heider received an Alumni Professional Achievement Award for Career Achievement from The Ohio State University Alumni Association.
Dr. John Hubbell was a 1977 graduate of the College who joined the faculty in 1982 as an anesthesiologist, becoming an associate professor in 1987 and a professor in 1997. Dr. Hubbell became Hospital Director in 1988 and served in that role until 1991 when he became Assistant/Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, a post he held until 2004. During his tenure, the first hospital information system, based on a human hospital system was developed and deployed. Dr. Hubbell twice served as Interim Dean of the College (2004-2005, 2008-2009). Dr. Hubbell is co-editor of The Handbook of Veterinary Anesthesia and Equine Anesthesia, Monitoring and Intensive Therapy. Dr. Hubbell served the profession as President of the American College of Veterinary Anesthesiologists. Dr. Hubbell received the Faculty Award for teaching of residents in 2007 and in 2009, was named Veterinarian of the Year by the Ohio Veterinary Medical Association in 2008.
Dr. Glen Hoffsis was a 1966 graduate of the College who served an internship in Large Animal Medicine at Colorado State University before returning to Ohio State in 1968 to pursue advanced training and a Master's Degree. Dr. Hoffsis became an instructor in 1970. He became Hospital Director in 1991 and served for two years before becoming Interim Dean and then Dean of the College in 1993. Dr. Hoffsis served as Dean of the College until 2004 when he left the University to become Director of Veterinary Services for the IAMS Company. Dr. Hoffsis became Dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Florida in 2006. In service to the profession Dr. Hoffsis served as president of the American Association of Bovine Practitioners, receiving that organization's Award of Excellence. Hoffsis also served as chair of the Food and Drug Administration's Center for Veterinary Medicine Advisory Committee and vice president of the Ohio Veterinary Medical Association. During his tenure as Dean at Ohio State, Dr. Hoffsis served as president of the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges. Board Certified by the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, Dr. Hoffsis has received numerous awards including the Ohio Veterinary Medical Association’s Veterinarian of the Year Award and induction into the Ohio Animal Science Hall of Fame.
Dr. Richard Bednarski was a 1977 graduate of the College who served an ambulatory internship and a residency in theriogenology before pursuing an interest in anesthesia. Following his residency in anesthesiology, Dr. Bednarski joined the faculty of the College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Wisconsin. Dr. Bednarski returned to Ohio State in 1986. Dr. Bednarski became hospital director in 1993 and served in the post for 13 years. Dr. Bednarski received the Norden Teaching Excellence Award in 1989. In service to the profession, Dr. Bednarski was President of the Ohio Veterinary Medical Association. A Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Anesthesiologists, Dr. Bednarski served as President of the organization in 1992.
Dr. Grant Frazer received his doctor of veterinary medicine degree from the University of Queensland in Australia in 1980. After a short time in practice, Dr. Frazer came to Ohio State to pursue a residency in theriogenology and a Master's degree. Following completion of his residency, Dr. Frazer served as an instructor at the University of Pennsylvania before returning to Australia in a private practice position. Dr. Frazer returned to Ohio State in 1991 as an assistant professor in the Food Animal Medicine and Surgery Section. Promoted to associate professor in 1997, Dr. Frazer left the Department for a career in Extension. During his time in extension, Dr. Frazer received a University President’s Scholarship to pursue a Master's of Business Administration in the Fisher College of Business. Dr. Frazer became Hospital Director in 2006 and served until 2009 when he returned to his native Australia to become Hospital Director at the University of Queensland. A Diplomate of the American College of Theriogenologists, Dr. Frazer received the Norden Distinguished Teaching Award in 1994.