Mission and Goals
We exist to benefit society and enhance the health and well-being of animals, people, and the ecosystem through innovation in research, education, patient care, outreach, and service.
The College of Veterinary Medicine will be the nation’s best learning community for veterinary and comparative medicine - where our students are prepared for careers of excellence; our faculty and staff work collaboratively to research and solve problems of significance, create and share new knowledge, and advance both veterinary and human medicine; our team-based health system is the model for tertiary care for animals; we collectively advance the understanding of the power of the human-animal relationship and the positive health benefits of animals on people (zooeyia); and our alumni become the next generation of global leaders who also understand the importance of civic responsibility and our role in our communities.
The goals of the College of Veterinary Medicine are to:
- Provide an excellent comprehensive professional curriculum that educates students in the broad field of veterinary medicine, encourages critical and analytical thinking and prepares students for life-long learning and professional growth.
- Promote growth and excellence in research in order to improve the health of animals, assure the wholesomeness of food animal products and contribute to the understanding of basic mechanisms or animal models of disease.
- Provide an intellectual and physical environment that fosters creativity and enhances scholarly activity.
- Sustain state of the art facilities including teaching and research laboratories and a Veterinary Medical Center to educate professional students, support research, train specialists and serve as referral centers.
- Educate future academicians and research scientists by involving graduate students and residents in high quality teaching and research programs.
- Provide continuing education, extension services and consultation for veterinarians and the citizens of Ohio.