- About the College
- Veterinary Medical Center
- Departments & Offices
Schuenemann, Gustavo M.
Gustavo M. Schuenemann, DVM, MS, PhD
Extension Veterinarian, Dairy
Department of Veterinary Preventive Medicine
Ohio State University Extension-Veterinary Medicine
The Ohio State University
A100L Sisson Hall
1920 Coffey Road
Columbus, Ohio 43210
Ph: (614) 292-6924
Fx: (614) 292-4142
schuenemann [dot] 5 [at] osu [dot] edu
Professional Training and Experience
- PhD: University of Tennessee, Department of Animal Science, 2008
- MS: University of Tennessee, Department of Animal Science, 2004
- DVM: Universidad Nacional del Centro, Tandil, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 1998
- Male factors associated with reduced fertility
- Dairy herd fertility: early detection of problem cows, timing of ovulation and semen quality
- Dairy records and reproductive management: The use of software as a tool to improve record keeping (data collection), analysis, detection of opportunities, and aid in the decision-making process to increase sustainable production and profitability
- Continuing education programming: Outcomes assessment of applied reproductive technology between practitioners, producers and educators
- Disease Control in Dairy Cattle (796.06 VPM).
- Bovine Theriogenology (796.18 VPM).
Dr. Gustavo Schuenemann develops and coordinates Extension educational programming for veterinarians, dairy personnel, and owners throughout Ohio. The Extension programs are designed to translate research-based knowledge and skills (e.g., reproductive management, veterinary preventive medicine practices, etc.) into practical applications for immediate use. Below you will find more details on current programs:
- Ohio Dairy Health and Management Certificate Program: this comprehensive educational 3-year program offers advanced research-based knowledge and hands-on opportunities in an intensive face-to-face workshop environment to progressive dairy veterinary practitioners. For more information click here.
- Ohio Sustainable Dairy Program (OSDP): this is an educational program for dairy producers (from small to large) and their veterinarians. The OSDP uses on-farm collaborative learning to translate and implement sustainable dairy practices. For more information click here.
- Dairy Personnel School: this educational and training program provides up-to-date research-based knowledge and skills in relevant areas to dairy personnel. Educational workshops are delivered in English & Spanish. For more information click here.
- Bas, Santiago (Cordoba, Argentina): Ph.D. student (Veterinary Preventive Medicine). January 2009 to present.
Ph.D. projects: 1. Strategies to improve fertility in repeat breeder dairy cattle, 2. Optimizing the delivery of GnRH in synchronization protocols, and 3. Developing a comprehensive Extension program/curriculum for dairy operations and their veterinarians aimed at enhancing reproductive efficiency. Assessment of on-farm impacts.
- Brick, Troy (Aberdeen, South Dakota): Master of Science student. September 2008 to present.
M.S. project: Impact of alternative endometritis therapy on fertility of lactating dairy cows